I'd Like Some Ideas For Framing A Shed Loft. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I'd like some ideas for framing a shed loft.

I'm building a 10x12 shed with a 7-1/2' side wall and a gambrel roof. I want to add a loft for people to use as a bunking area. The walls are 2x4 16 o.c. and my first idea is to use a 2x6x8 ledger board on each of the 12' walls and span that with 2x6's (the distance between ledger boards would be 9' 2").

The only reason for not setting the 2x6's on top of the 12' wall is to increase headroom in the loft area.

My concern is how to attach the 2x6 ledger boards to the 2x4 walls. I think the best way would be to use 2 large screws ≈3-1/2" long with a flat (non-countersunk) head at each stud. Even if this is a good method I might run into issues where the loft joists will fall in the same location as a stud, on opposite sides of the rim joist/ledger. I'm considering screwing a second 2x4x8 or 2x6x8 ledger below the loft framework (exactly below the loft rim joist/ledger) to act as the primary support and then also screwing the loft rim joist ledger wherever there isn't an alignment problem between the studs and the joists. I would then use an additional 2x4 at each corner as a post under the ledger.

What I'd like is input regarding this proposal. If you think this is a lousy idea, please give me another one. I haven't started the loft yet so it's all academic at this point.

Advertisement

SHIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

If you used joist hangers for the joists it wouldn't matter if the joists were in line with the studs.

What if you attached the joists to the side f the studs and got rid of the ledger altogether?

This is a what if question, I know nothing about proper framing.

Advertisement

Venter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #3

Thanks Venter,

I was hoping to save myself the purchase of joist hangers, but you have a good point. I'll consider that.

I would attach the joists to the sides of the studs, but there are windows and the studs are not spaced exactly 16 o.c. throughout the length of the ledger/rim joist. By using a rim joist/ledger I can space the joists 16 o.c.

I'm grateful for the input.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 712

Going to have to clip off everyone of the roofing nail heads or finish off the ceiling.

It's going to be super hot up there in the summer time. Better at least add a ridge vent.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

The only problem I see is you're spanning at least 10' with 2x6's. Looking at the IRC should be OK. If you ledger get hangers. If you sister up to studs think about cutting a trimmer(next to the stud) under them for better bearing. Nails and screws. As screws aren't usually rated for shear. Unless you get some good ones.

Tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 712

If you install a ledger use 2, 3/8 X 3' lag bolts with washers on the heads.
DO not just use screws.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Going to have to clip off everyone of the roofing nail heads or finish off the ceiling.

It's going to be super hot up there in the summer time. Better at least add a ridge vent.
I'm planning to double layer the roof to avoid nails sticking through, but nice catch!

I have dormers framer and a window that can be opened on each side. Hoping that will be enough venting. I want to be able to use it in MN winter also, so any vents need. To be closeable. What do you think?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you install a ledger use 2, 3/8 X 3' lag bolts with washers on the heads.
DO not just use screws.
3" lags with washers would give me less than 1-1/2" of penetration into the studs. Would that be enough?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tham View Post
The only problem I see is you're spanning at least 10' with 2x6's. Looking at the IRC should be OK. If you ledger get hangers. If you sister up to studs think about cutting a trimmer(next to the stud) under them for better bearing. Nails and screws. As screws aren't usually rated for shear. Unless you get some good ones.

Tham
The inside dimension from wall to wall that I want to span is 9'-5".

Will do with the hangers.

I want to sister up to studs and I love the trimmer stud idea, but can't if I ledger.

I have some screws that I want to research to see if they have a shear rating. Do you calculate required shear by taking load and dividing by number of fasteners?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

I just had an idea: I'll put the ledger below the joists and block at two points between each joist. Just need to make the correct fastener choice for the ledger now.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

^Good Idea!

Tham

Advertisement

Tham is offline   Reply With Quote