Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Certified Crazy

Rewards Points: 10

Icynene Insulation vs Fiber glass insulation

I am in the process of building a 4000 sq ft. custom home in Florida. I just received bids on insulating our new home and I couldn't believe the difference. The first quote was very reasonable at around $4000 installed for the fiberglass (2300 sq ft of living area). The Icynene was $14,000. My question, is Icynene (Sprayed foam) $10,000 better than fiber glass. I could install the fiberglass myself were the Icynene will probably have to be hired out. The salesman said no but I'm thinking of use half and half. I am on a very tight budget but want the shell done right. I realy need to know is there a better way?

Oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

the foam is r-6.5 to r-7 per inch,doing half and half would be very effective,the foam is much better because it`s a much tighter seal,and yes it`s much more effective(6"foam =R-39-42 vs. 6" fiberglass =R-19),your insulation savings will pay for themselves over and over again!!!

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I work with a contractor that purchased a spray foam rig about a year ago mostly for his own remodel jobs. If I was building a house today for myself there is no question I would use some form of spray foam. These guys use two different types/weights of foam, .5 lb. per cubic foot and 2 lb. per cubic foot. The .5 lb. is considered an open cell formula and will allow moisture transfer. The 2 lb. is called closed cell and acts as a moisture barrier however I don't think that Icynene sells a 2 lb. foam. The 2 lb. is rigid and will also add structural strength to the building which may be a concern depending on your location. I know of several foam ins. houses that have heat and cooling costs running about 1/2 to 2/3 the average for this area (VA). I feel that one of foams greatest attributes is its ability to seal almost every crack and crevice, something I don't see with fiberglass. IMO one inch of closed cell foam to seal and tighten the building followed by blown cellulose or fiberglass batts would be a good combination. While it's alot of money 10,000$ is probably less than 5% of your total budget and with energy concerns what they are I would consider any form of spray foam insulation a good investment. You may want to check out this site www.sprayfoam.com. Lots of information. Have a good day.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cost of spray foam averages approximately 3X the cost of fiberglass Batt insulation.

Link about Icynene: http://www.icynene.com/Products.aspx

Articles regarding insulation:

http://www.designbuild-network.com/c...rials/icynene/

http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/...gin/g01721.htm
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Certified Crazy

I was thinking of spraying the attic/roof to minimize heat transfer to the living area. The additional strength to the roof is a big plus here in Florida. I did hear that the foam acts like glue to hold the roof and walls together but thought it was just a sales pitch. With the AC running year around the spray foam may be the smart money.
Thanks for the great responses.
Oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #6

yes the attic is a prime place for it,you`re welcome !

Last edited by the roofing god; 01-10-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #7

be careful not to confuse the two types of foam insulation that are out there. the lightweight, open celled foam (Icynene) does not act like glue and hold the roof/walls together. The foam that has these physical properties is the two pound variety - closed cell - material. Costs for this higher density material is approximately 35% more per R but you do get some very significant advantages with the material.
Also, you need to check local fire codes regarding the use of any foam plastic material in the ceiling area. Fire barriers may be needed to protect occupants of the home from potential harm as these materials, when they come in contact with open flame, do give off toxic fumes and dense smoke. Materials are great but need to be installed properly.

Many contractors fail to talk about thermal/fire barriers - buyer beware. If you want structural strength and air sealing of thehome, check out closed cell foam. You do not need as much foam as R factor per inch is much higher. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
I was thinking of spraying the attic/roof to minimize heat transfer to the living area. The additional strength to the roof is a big plus here in Florida. I did hear that the foam acts like glue to hold the roof and walls together but thought it was just a sales pitch. With the AC running year around the spray foam may be the smart money.
Thanks for the great responses.
swede8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #8

swede is 100% right about closed cell being better

Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #9

I just added a 2nd floor to my 1600 sqft ranch. I had Icynene sprayed in all the new walls and did cellulose in the attic. I am not keen on the idea of spraying the underside of the roof deck yet. I heard it might also void roof warrenty.
I had 6 companies come give me quotes for the foam. After I got all there quotes I pitted them against each other to better their price. I was able to get a 20% price drop by doing this. I also noticed that you the small business guy is more willing/able to negotiate than a larger company.
Overall I am very happy with the foam.
watersda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #10

you shouldn`t spray the underside of the plywood,you need at least a 1/2" space for ventilation purposes,the closed cell foam is even better than the icynene,also unfortunately when you have guys chop prices to get your work,you not only get the most inexpensive job but the "cheapest" as well.I`m sure you lost something of value for someone to chop the price 20%

Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roofing god View Post
you shouldn`t spray the underside of the plywood,you need at least a 1/2" space for ventilation purposes,the closed cell foam is even better than the icynene,also unfortunately when you have guys chop prices to get your work,you not only get the most inexpensive job but the "cheapest" as well.I`m sure you lost something of value for someone to chop the price 20%
Actually, if you use closed cell polyurethane foam, you SHOULD spray the bottom of the decking, to a prescribed depth. You can eliminate the need for venting as the attic will be conditioned.

According to TigerFoam (a DIY product) a few inches on all the decking is all you need. It's also very common to spray an inch on the exterior walls and then lay in bat insulation. Huge improvement in tightness and insulation.

M
mebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

As mentioned: Sprayed foam, such as Icynene, does not require the roof to have ventilation. You don't need to install ridge vent, nor soffit venting. These are not required, and the roof will pass building inspection too. (done it)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #13

but this will cause the shingles to bake,and they will not last as long as the warranty expectance,call your shingle manufacturer and ask them if they will honor your shingle warranty without the ventilation----

Last edited by the roofing god; 01-17-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

We spray 2 lb. on the underside of the roof with the approval of our local inspectors. I've heard the argument about overheated shingles but haven't seen it. It would be interesting to see a documented case.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #15

THE POINT REMAINS,WHAT i HAVE HEARD(AND SEEN ON WARRANTY FORMS) IS THE MANUFACTURER WILL NOT HONOR YOUR WARRANTY WITH OUT,AT MINIMUM,A 1/2" AIRSPACE FOR PROPER VENTILATION TO ALLOW FOR A BALANCED VENTILATION SYSTEM,I fully am a fan of foam used for insulation,and know experts in that field,but the fact remains that you need that airspace to qualify a manufacturers warranty,and that was the point that was raised here---I don`t know about you,and definitely no insult intended,but I would rather have the mfgr`s warranty from a national company,than one from a small outfit that typically only warranties their materials installed and not the materials adversely affected .