Icynene Insulation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Icynene insulation

Just a couple of questions about Icynene insulation. What, exactly, is the method for installation? Is a compressor required and if so how powerful? Does this stuff come in a pail, tube, etc.?
Secondly, I am renovating a bungalow built, I believe, in the 60's. The fiberglass insulation in the walls is maybe R6 at best. Since the walls are constructed of gyproc and plaster and the external cladding is brick, can I drill holes between the studs and re-insulate that way?

Thanks all.

CC

Advertisement

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Icynene insulation

Icynene is spray foam insulation, you can purchase smaller kits for smaller projects, to do your entire house would be expensive, would most likely be better off to bring in the crew with the big toys.

Since it is an expansion foam drilling holes and spraying is not recommended since any voids or missed spots cannot be seen or 'touched up'.

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Icynene insulation

Foaming your entire house would be really expensive I think and needs to be done professionally. I just finished reinsulating all the walls in my 50's house by dense packing cellulose using a fill tube. All walls already had fiberglass R3 to R7 at best --1 to 2 inch batts pushed against the outside leaving a large internal gap. Some places like the room over my garage and its floor had either nothing in the kneewalls or the small batts with huge air gaps like btw the subfloor and garage ceiling. Lots of people say it isnt worth it to put more in but my results have been dramatic. The improvement in comfort is really unreal. I drilled from the inside in each stud space with a hole saw and saved the plugs which im putting back in now. I will plaster over them, sand and then paint. Sure it took me alot of work and research but I literally only spent $900. Half of that amount was spent just doing the room over my garage and the garage ceiling right which took 80 bags total.
jaw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Icynene insulation

Thanks guys for the responses The celluose sounds like maybe a good thought. I am only talking about 30' of exterior walls to do, but the savings in heat loss may well be worth the while.

CC
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote