Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #1

Share |

I want to cut lines in my driveway - am I insane? <pics>

lol I just love how these look, you see them from time to time, pretty much always on insane mansions.

I have one of those cool (imo) half circle driveways, and really wanted to put 2 or 3 lines through it from my front lawn.

The more I thought about it, it seems I just need a special blade for my power saw, draw the lines, and smash out a thin strip. Add soil, seed, and now I have grass lines!

Am I missing something? Is there far more to this than I'm imagining? What are other opinions on how cool this is? I think this looks amazing! <<pic is just of a random shot of someone who's done this, just to give an example>>
Attached Thumbnails
I want to cut lines in my driveway - am I insane?  <pics>-7x.jpg  

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #2

I know you'd need to carefully determine width of the holes so cars wouldn't hit the grass too low on the grass blades, and how low below the surface your soil should be, but I'm asking more about the actual process of creating those lines, and what the concensus on them is.

I think they're insanely cool and unique, and from where I'm sitting it seems like a ridiculously easy project!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #3

Don't waste your time with a concrete blade in a circular saw... the dust will choke you r electric motor in no time (experience talking) AND the blade won't go through the concrete (more experience talking) and end up with potential cracking and scabbing of adjacent concrete...

go to your local rent-all center and rent a concrete saw... not one of the chain-saw-hand-held style ones but one on wheels with about a 14 or 16 blade on it...

they are well worth the while... have a water hose to keep dust down... and are FAST!!! you will cut straighter lines... be able to cut all the way through the slab and have fewer headaches then trying to do it the "cheap way"...

you will have to buy the blades from the rental center because they are consumable... don;t waste your money on the diamond blades... the carborundum blades are less expensive and you can wear them down to the nub before changing them (depending on how much you have to cut)

Good Luck!!!!
panhandlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #4

Joey, that picture is a prime example of total crap design and construction. That is a perfect example of how to build a driveway that will require heavy mainenence and early replacement.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Joey, that picture is a prime example of total crap design and construction. That is a perfect example of how to build a driveway that will require heavy mainenence and early replacement.
Hilarious. Form over function.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
so-elitecrete

&, if you have the time & lots of patience, have at it.

circle saw's a waste for you as you won't have a bevel-gear drive saw w/dust shroud & roller cart,,, anyways, you'd only be able to cut 1.775" deep &, while that's not enuff depth to be breaking out conc for me, it might be for you,,, abrasive blade'll last, maybe, 10 inch feet - that's 5' @ 1.75",,, VERY expensive blades.

but since you're even considering d-i-y'ing this, let us know how it turns out,,, i know everything looks simple to the ignorant as it often appears to me, too,,, that's why i had no hear for a week after trying to replace my own thermocouple on the downstairs furnace,,, but that's another story :-)
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:04 AM   #7

It rains.
Water gets in them purdy lines.
Winter comes.
Water freezes.
Driveway cracks and heaves all around them (not-so-purdy-anymore) lines.

That picture might look cool, but what is underneath that you don't see? Probably, a heavy drainage network has been laid down before the driveway was poured - so water does not linger? Maybe there is radiant heat tubing laid below to prevent the freeze?
Have you seen the maintenance bill for those lines so they look nice and neat, without weeds poking all over?
scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I was using that more just to illustrate the actual line effect I was talking about - are you saying that doing those lines is what made that heavy maintenance, or the fact that it's like a babied acid stained, sealed, cutup driveway?

My thoughts were more on just keeping a gray slab but cutting 2, maybe 3, lines through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Hilarious. Form over function.
Again, sorry for the ignorance, I'm confused - is it that driveway specifically in that pic, or just the general idea of these kind of lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio View Post
It rains.
Water gets in them purdy lines.
Winter comes.
Water freezes.
Driveway cracks and heaves all around them (not-so-purdy-anymore) lines.

That picture might look cool, but what is underneath that you don't see? Probably, a heavy drainage network has been laid down before the driveway was poured - so water does not linger? Maybe there is radiant heat tubing laid below to prevent the freeze?
Have you seen the maintenance bill for those lines so they look nice and neat, without weeds poking all over?
I don't have real freeze I don't think, haven't had a winter here yet lol (I'm in central FL).

Drainage would be very efficient I presume as my driveway is on a pretty steep slope.

I apologize for not getting exactly what you guys are saying, I'm kind of confused. Is it the lines in general that are gonna hurt function, cause issues, and need tons of extra work besides just renting a saw/seeding some grass, or is that picture the offender?

My driveway is an older slab that already has some cracking (I *presume*, but am ignorant here so who knows, but I presume it's older because it's a half circle driveway on a steep slope, yet there are NO control joints on it, so that led me to believe it was either done poorly or done a while back, maybe they didn't do them as much back then lol). I figured that, since it seems it's settled and the cracks are there, I could just do 2 lines where the cracks, as they are kind of nicely placed for where I'd want the grass lines to be.

If a general application of this on a slope, with very sandy FL soil, in a warm climate, still requires stuff under the concrete, or other stuff, then I guess it's a no-go lol! I was looking at this like 'ya, just rent the saw thing from home depot or get blades for my saw, draw my lines, cut, drop some soil, and sow some seed'.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
so-elitecrete

located, i may be able to recommend a colleague who can do this work for you proficiently,,, & yes, it is easy if you've got ability, experience, knowledge, equipment, & desire :-) then again, probably what you do for a living is, also.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #10

A stained sealed driveway will have to be resealed every year to 2 years or risk wearing the stain away.

Cutting the slab into smaller parts with no structural load carrying members between them while also allowing (encouraging!) water intrusion will lead to differental settling through a process called "pumping".

The idea is to NOT allow any water intrusion beneath slabs.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #11

I see! So basically, if I cut lines, there's now that much more linear feet around any given square foot of slab, and thus, more water is gonna get under the slab - which will wear it out faster? Or hurt it during a FL winter?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
so-elitecrete

good idea but here's the real problem,,, some of us know quite a bit about this work & trying to explain in here's time-consuming,,, but you're getting more inf than you need so no wonder its confusing to you.

yes, conc should be sealed ( we do it on a 2yr schedule - less enduring sealers - every yr ),,, conc does wear however you don't notice it.

'pumping' is weight's action on a slab edge,,, the movement up & down as it reacts to weight ( cars - trucks ) if the jnts aren't seal'd, wtr softens the base ( dirt, etc under the slab ),,, when the slab moves up or down, it forces that dirt/wtr mix upwards,,, never a big deal w/driveways but critical on conc hgwys & airports.

' structural load carrying members ' might be a reference to ' load transfer bars ' which're common to hgwys & airports but not to driveways.

i have never seen any driveway, other'n my own, w/edge drains or transverse jnt drains,,, but, in fl, not to worry.

so you don't ' see ', after all,,, there's just too much information being posted,,, analogy's teaching solid geom, trig, or calc when you don't know arithmetric yet.

oy VEY is mere ! ! !
Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #13

hehe, project aborted then!

LOL thanks guys, as always, regardless of how weird a project I contemplate may be, there's someone here to help me understand what's waht