Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Share |

I want to concrete my brick chimney help?

Hello everyone. My name is Jim and I am a DIY like everyone here.

I have a brick and mortar chimney that I recently patched up with anchoring cement and Quickrete masonary caulk.

I want to concrete the whole chimney but I am not sure which concrete to use. I have read on the internet that Portland concrete would do the trick. I was wondering if anchoring concrete would be a better option to hold the chimney in place? Stringer bond?

Please help.

Regards,
Jim

jimleahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #2

1st off, i'm not sure what is masonary caulk,,, did you use it rather than brick pointing mortar ? did it come pre-packaged from the apron store ? guessing ' anchoring cement ' cement was something else from the same place.

depending on the age of your chimney, you might have either brick veneer OR a brick chimney,,, since bricks stay in place by gravity, we stack them 1 on top of the other & hold them in position by brick ties anchor their mortar to a structure every few courses.

IF you want to cover the brickwork because its in poor condition, portland cement-based mtl will work IF its cast thick enough,,, i'd suggest you find a brickmason & pay for his advice 1st,,, having a better understanding of your intent will allow the right guys to read your post & reply w/good advice,,, sometimes what you want to do can't be properly done like put 5gal of wtr into 4gal bkts eg - a mortar ' bond ', at best, keeps bricks in place vertically,,, it doesn't ' weld ' them together into a solid structure.

stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
jimleahman (03-08-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
1st off, i'm not sure what is masonary caulk,,, did you use it rather than brick pointing mortar ? did it come pre-packaged from the apron store ? guessing ' anchoring cement ' cement was something else from the same place.

depending on the age of your chimney, you might have either brick veneer OR a brick chimney,,, since bricks stay in place by gravity, we stack them 1 on top of the other & hold them in position by brick ties anchor their mortar to a structure every few courses.

IF you want to cover the brickwork because its in poor condition, portland cement-based mtl will work IF its cast thick enough,,, i'd suggest you find a brickmason & pay for his advice 1st,,, having a better understanding of your intent will allow the right guys to read your post & reply w/good advice,,, sometimes what you want to do can't be properly done like put 5gal of wtr into 4gal bkts eg - a mortar ' bond ', at best, keeps bricks in place vertically,,, it doesn't ' weld ' them together into a solid structure.
thank you for the reply.

it is an actual brick chimney. my intent of cementing the chimney is to provide stability and support. the mortar between the bricks had cracks and loose masonary due to the age of the chimney.

i set off to first stabilize the chimney with cementing called anchoring cement by quickrete. it is suppose to be have a stronger bond than regular concrete. i then filled in the gaps with quickrete concrete repair. it is prepared in a tube and dispensed via a caulking gun. stuff is not too strong but fills the gaps well.

now i want to concrete the whole chimney down to cover the brick and mortar.

i'm not sure which concrete would be best?

thanks.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #4

Im a bricklayer of 8 years trained by my dad of 25 years, I will tell you like I tell every customer , do NOT cover your chimney like that it may look allright for a year or two but your only making it worse. If your chimneys joints are cracking to much you NEED a rebuild. covering the bricks only help it fall apart faster only undetected till it falls over. The best thing Irecomend is rebuild , depending on your house may give you options, if your house is sided and the chimney is just through the roof rebuild it with a cement brick with cement joints itll last forever with minor repairs, but if your chimney is on the outside and goes right to the ground you pretty much have to rebuild as it is unless you dont care if it matches, or you can have the whole thing rebuild ground up in stone ore cement brick its costly but is the best way to go if you can afford it. if your chimney is from ground up but at the roof line the roof wraps around the chimney then you can do a rebuild from the roof up in stone or cement brick and would still look good and be long lasting or you can rebuild to match. But never cover your chimney not with stucco flashing cement anything, it may look good but underneathe the chimney is still falling apart and could fall down if it gets bad enough. and its better to fix it sooner than later as a chimney falls apart its allowing water to penetrate your house and if you wate to long it could cause damage to the inside of your home.
VI_timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VI_timmy For This Useful Post:
jimleahman (03-08-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #5

also if its just your joints cracking you can prolly get away with a repointing if theres a few bad bricks those can be replaced easily enough, I cant stress enough though get a very highly recommended bricklayer check previous work always. theres lots of guys pretending to be a bricklayer and can make a huge mess of things believe me i see alot of it and its not fair to the customer to have to pay twice and pay to repair a roof or interior of their home depending on how bad the job is messed up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VI_timmy For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (03-07-2011), SteelToes (03-07-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #6

do you not recommend cementing because the cracks won't be visible after cementing or because the cementing would not help the issue period?

thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #7

parge coat has no strength,,, in order to accomplish your purpose of increasing strength/stability, you'll need to cast a steel reinforced ' collar ' from base to top including thru-bolting,,, this ain't an easy task !
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
jimleahman (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the information. I appreciate it. I guess I'll fill in the cracks in the mean time and save up to rebuild the part of the chimney.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #9

for a geuss on price go with about 8$ a brick thats around what it should cost for everything thats how we price for chimneys covers materials labour and garbage removal
Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI_timmy View Post
for a geuss on price go with about 8$ a brick thats around what it should cost for everything thats how we price for chimneys covers materials labour and garbage removal
thanks again. there seems to be a lot of bricks in that chimney when your paying for it.