I Want To Build A Hallway Over A Stair Case, Double The Use Of The Square Feet - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
I want to build a hallway over a stair case, double the use of the square feet

Good Morning:

Recently we remodeled our kitchen. We closed a doorway to the living room and used the space to construct a pantry. Made a world of difference in the quality of the kitchen remodel.

Now I want to replace the entry into the living room by building a hallway over a staircase. The question is: How to manage the floor? Do I build a ramp that raises out of the way to use the basement stairs? Or split the hallway floor in the center and have each side fold out of the way. The length of the hallway is 100 inches. Entry to this hallway is the door from the original floor plan located at the far end of the kitchen where a person enters the home from the garage. The hallway would lead to the living room and would access with a glass pane door. The stairway measures 37" wide. My first choice is a floor that is split down the center. I want to end up with high quailty and functional; not cute.

Thanks for your help.
Chuck Vierthaler

Advertisement

Charles Viertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

And what happens, if the stairway is open, and someone comes walking through the doorway? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. To give a better idea to everyone in what you are dealing with, pictures are very helpful.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Dear Greg:

What happens when the hallway floor is folded up and the stairway is wide open to fall into?

1. I want the hallway floor always active, stairway has to be manually deployed.
2. The door from the living room will be paned glass and the hallway will always be lite.
3. When the stairway is in use the living room door locks when the floor is folded to allow one to enter the basement.
4. Because the stairway ceiling is gone and a hallway ceiling is in place there will be room for lighting to show the hall way floor.

Thanks for your thoughts, if you have a suggestion or see something I missed, please write back.

Chuck Vierthaler
Charles Viertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I suspect the building code will not allow it. If I read this correctly you want to put a door similar to the bulkhead doors they use on the outside to access a basement of the house inside your house.

Assuming you are allowed to do it in the first place I would start with some form of commercial metal door and try to make it look nice. Using wood you are going to have a hard job making it light enough to open but study enough to walk on when closed. I am going to bet you will not have enough width to open the doors side to side. Even if the doors only take 6 inches when open it leaves only 24. Opening it the long way you would need enough ceiling height.
bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,032

would posting of some photos be possible?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote