DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

I swore that nothing else would deter me from finishing the bathroom!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Snav 
#1 ·
I was SO totally wrong.
I woke up this morning to find my kitchen floor sunk - NOTICABLY sunk.

WHERE!?
The floor area under the cabinets/stove - the wall that neighbors the bathroom.

Well!!
The bathroom had to be FIXED, of course. . . and I'm still working on it - the joist under the bathtub head was cut through, neighboring joists were rotted - the rot also effected that wall's sole plate. See here: http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/JulieBiv2022/?action=view&current=Floorrotclose.jpg&newest=1
Where the rot ate away at the floor it, also, goes way under the kitchen. Now, since that area is under the cabinets I hoped it would hang on for a little while longer.

Now- I DID sister the joists under this area, btw - just like I did in the bathroom. But the subfloor (what's left of it) is still there and not fixed.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!

That area of subfloor finally FAILED - sagging and bringing the cabinets down with it!

So - my ONLY thought, without ripping out the damn cabinets (in the future I will be redoing the kitchen - I really hoped to do that this year, actually) - is to install a series of 2x4's (or sheets of thick plywood) flush under the failed floor area - jack the floor up using the new, temporary floor for solidity - and then run a ladder of joists between the sistered joists - leaving the ply/2x4's in place.

I don't know what else to do, really. . . until I can rip the kitchen out and fix it 100% this will likely do pretty good.

See less See more
#4 ·
Haha, thanks for that :)

yep - it's noticeable. It spans between the joists and I'm not too surprised it happened, I just hoped it wouldn't have.

It drops off between joists - in a big scoop - just the subfloor, not the joists. These joists are stupidly over-spaced (there's 24" in between) - the people just *oops* didn't put in a joist when they built the house.

I knew I should have fixed it while I was under there in March. - but when I restructured and added in all new joists under the bathroom I decided to let this go - planned to just tackle the under-kitchen when I ripped it all out. (remember, when I started the bathroom the kitchen was suppose to immediately follow - by June I planned to be working on it. Things happened - the kitchen must wait 'til next year.)

So - I'll fix it tomorrow. I've gone under the house and looked at the problem - it's just the subfloor, which is quite fixable temporarily. The new joists I put in are still solid and in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.