I Need Something Like JB Weld Epoxy, But A Lot Of It - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

I need something like JB Weld epoxy, but a lot of it

Need to level up a couple joists. I've shimmed them with wood strips, glued, sanded, etc, let's just say it's taking too long and I have 80% of my job ahead of me. Want to use something like JB weld that I can level out and then sand, screw through as needed but I can't seem to come up with anything like it that I can buy in a larger quantity. I'm not buying a thousand tiny tubes and mixing A&B together 2 at a time!!!

My brain is in a bit of a box so anyone with any ideas (liquid nails maybe?) OUTSIDE the box would be appreciated.

Advertisement

BMS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

To me a "couple" is two? You should be done by now!
However, PL Construction Adhesive hardens up pretty good in a day or two and comes in quart tubes too.....
Not sure how you're doing this though.

DM

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

How long does it take to squirt some flooring adhesive on two shims and tap them into place, opposing each other, till the right height is achieved? three to eight seconds?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

Guess I should have been more detailed & accurate. EVERY joist in my master bedroom (14'x14') has high and low spots EVERY ONE. Taking measurements, from the highest point to the lowest point is 7/8". I have shimmed and planed on every joist. So there are some spots where I got a little aggressive with the sander that I'd like to fill.

I have 3 more bedrooms to do (all a bit smaller, more like 11'x11'). I am removing 5/8" plywood that isn't glued. The josts are 2'x8' that are spanning 14' so they have noticeable bounce to them. I'm laminating 3/4" OSB to each side of every joist and putting solid bridging between them. Leveling, then putting 3/4" T&G Advantech OSB on top and then 3/4" T&G wood flooring.

So, instead of gluing shimming strips varying from 1/8" to 1/4" (a bit more complicated than tapping shims in opposing directions I am afraid), then sanding them, I'd like to rip the OSB I am laminating perfectly straight, install them level at the high point, then fill the gap between them where the joist is low with an epoxy like material. I just don't like the idea of gluing subfloor to only the edges of 3/4 OSB that chips so easy and then trying to screw to the joist with the gap left there.

Like I said, I'm in a bit of a box here and can't seem to come up with anything better.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #5

Oh, and I should have mentioned we have an 8 month old so when I get home from work, I get about 45 minutes to work on the floor before she goes down and then I get to work for 2 hour increments on the weekends between naps. Love our little girl, but she isn't conducive to productive weekend house projects that are noisy! That's why I'm looking for a slightly faster way.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

If you are tearing up the subfloor to expose the floor joists, why not just sister the existing 2x8s to the correct height? This would save an awful lot of hassle and would beef up the structure to remove the bounce. Just a thought.

You could always scab onto the low spots if needed.

Little kids and wives are no good for construction projects....too many bosses.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

I have never heard of anyone doing what you're describing. Please post some photos.
Kids will sleep through an earthquake. You don't need to work between naps.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #8

I realize pics would help. Went to take some last night, memory card was full, went downstairs to download pics to computer and got sidetracked.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I have never heard of anyone doing what you're describing. Please post some photos.
Kids will sleep through an earthquake. You don't need to work between naps.
Ron
Listen well to this advice. You are setting the stage in these early months for what you will have to endure for decades. You would be shocked how easily you, yourself (well, usually your wife, but fathers are often equally guilty) can make yourself a lifelong slave to trying to satisfy every minor gratification and whim of an infant.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 254

Sister in joists, it will be quicker than the osb method you describe and it will even the floor.
Use that method instead of epoxy.
They doo sell epoxy by the tub, but I don't reccomend using it as you describe for cost, ease, functionality.

Cut the boards outside, glue and screw the sisters in and you should be quiet enogh. Hammering nails would be loud.

Put the crown up, don't worry about planing every joist flat.
It's actually very slightly structurally stronger, and your eyes notice concave surfaces more than convex, plus it will settle into flat over time.

Last edited by michaelcherr; 04-07-2011 at 09:01 AM.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #11

Agreed, sister some nice straight 2x8's to the side of the existing joists to get it level. Use construction adhesive and plenty of nails, then use subfloor adhesive to secure the floor sheathing. Mixing up epoxy or similar products and doing a million shims will be a real headache and a major red flag about quality of work to future buyers of your home.

I hear what you mean about working around the baby's schedule. I have 16 month old twins. We have gone out of our way to not be quiet while they sleep, and it has helped us create good sleepers. My wife often vacuums just outside their door while they sleep. But sometimes you're crazy to push the limit when all you want is a couple hours of baby-free time.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Agreed, sister some nice straight 2x8's to the side of the existing joists to get it level. Use construction adhesive and plenty of nails, then use subfloor adhesive to secure the floor sheathing. Mixing up epoxy or similar products and doing a million shims will be a real headache and a major red flag about quality of work to future buyers of your home.

I hear what you mean about working around the baby's schedule. I have 16 month old twins. We have gone out of our way to not be quiet while they sleep, and it has helped us create good sleepers. My wife often vacuums just outside their door while they sleep. But sometimes you're crazy to push the limit when all you want is a couple hours of baby-free time.
Off topic, but I have twin 3 year olds. We didn't keep things totally quiet either so that they could sleep through most disturbances. We DO run an air filter in their room as a source of white noise though (and we sometimes forget to turn it on).

I have the same problem though. I want to do some earthquake retrofit in the crawlspace, but that means a rotary hammer to drill concrete. Well, I get home from work, spend 2- 3 hours on "routine" then the kids go to bed (not "to sleep", "to bed") then ... that's it, I can watch TV, but I can't hammer-drill holes directly beneath their bedroom! (one story house). And on weekends, with twins, it's not easy for one parent to take them somewhere alone. So .... when can I do this? It's not worth it to take PTO (that would eliminate all savings of DIY over hiring some guy).

OK, more on topic: Is there anyway you can get in the crawlspace to do the work instead of ripping up the floor? I think it's easier to level the floor from below, though less comfortable.
Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Listen well to this advice. You are setting the stage in these early months for what you will have to endure for decades. You would be shocked how easily you, yourself (well, usually your wife, but fathers are often equally guilty) can make yourself a lifelong slave to trying to satisfy every minor gratification and whim of an infant.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

I'm in no way condoning your method of leveling the floor, but if I had to do it that way, I'd get some Bondo auto body filler, by the gallon. Mix it with the hardener and trowel it in there.

CAUTION: I don't recommend using any kind of epoxy or Bondo, or any other material that is solvent based around an infant or young child.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #15

All I want to do is level out the low spots of the joists. I'm planing the high spots. I could sister the joists, I would just have to rip each one perfectly straight since I am gluing and nailing them to existing joists that have already settled. The crown on those new joists isn't going to settle to level like a single joist would. I think it might be a better idea though and certainly less time consuming. Only problem is, I wanted to strengthen the joists while I was doing this, so I'll have to put in full length "sisters" which will cost more. My OSB is 4 strips, 2 on each side with the joints staggered. Oh well, it's time or money.

This is the 2nd floor of the house. So it is over a finished living, dining, foyer and den space. Of course, I did slip off one joist already and make a nice access hole into the dining room. And by access hole, I mean, I took out most of a 4x8 sheet. Good thing I can fix drywall too. Uggh. Needed another thing to do.

Problem with bondo is it'll crack, but that is the general idea of a good spreadable filler. If you've ever used that JB weld stuff, it stays pretty plastic but is super hard after curing and you can drill it and it'll hold a screw. That's kind of what I'm after. Just skimming a 4' long section of the top edge of the joist that is maybe 3/16" low where putting a wood shim on there, waiting for glue to cure, then sanding it to feather at each end can just be tricky and time consuming. Especially when you are doing all 10 joists across a room both along the joist and perpendicular to all the joists next to it.

Leveling an entire room when each joist is like a wave and the peaks and valleys are all at different spots is not an easy task. Just figuring out where to start and what my highest point would be to minimize planing too much off the high joists was tricky.

Advertisement