I Need To Rebuild This Platform - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I need to rebuild this platform

Hi all,
We have this platform in the back of our house that holds our a/c equipment. When we originally moved into the house the platform consisted of two thick concrete pavers on a rock foundation. The original footprint is shown with the blue arrows. The foundation doesn't go lower than ground level.

So then, my mom, who I love dearly, but who doesn't make the best home improvement decisions, decided that the space between the wall and the equipment needed to be filled in. She didn't like that the weeds were growing in the space between the wall and the platform. And she thought the platform would be more secure if it was filled in. On a day that I was not around she came over with her handyman and had him fill in the spaces with concrete. I tried to show what was filled in with the red arrows. The problem is that she cemented over a gas pipe (not visible in the picture). I live in earthquake country. Not good. My contractor said that this should be redone.

My contractor is busy with other work and I would like to give the work to my handyman to do. He just lost his steady job due to the housing market crunch and has 4 adorable children who I love dearly. But, this is not his area of expertise. I want him to do a good job, but it doesn't have to be perfect because it is behind the house and not really something that we will look at everyday. I just want it to be sturdy.

I am guessing the best way to do this would be to tear the whole thing down and start over. Should we do this with poured cement, or would it be easier/better to use cement blocks?

Please, if this is your area of expertise, please help me out. How would you go about building this platform?

Many thanks,

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
I need to rebuild this platform-002.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by elbee; 04-19-2008 at 01:32 PM.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is important to keep the HVAC equipment on a level surface, so I'd suggest a concrete pad over pavers. If he has to move the HVAC equipment, make sure he's qualified to do so before he screws something up.

If you have a good pad under the equiment already, why not just remove the part that your mom had filled in? You need to be very careful not to disturb the gasline and cause a leak, but the added concrete could be cut with a quikie saw (rental) and removed.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you so much. I didn't know that there was something special involved with moving the HVAC equipment. You saved me from doing something stupid. I will not move it. I will rent the quikie saw and see what we can get rid of safely.

Thanks for your response.

Last edited by elbee; 04-20-2008 at 11:49 AM.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote