Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #1

Share |

I need advice please

Hi,I am new here and i have been a trim carpenter for about 14yrs,mostly new homes in the Louisville,Ky area and out in the county.Since this last yr or so new homes are drying up as anyone knows. My main employer sort of folded up for now and left all us subs on our own.I have installed windows and exterior doors in new homes before for a company at a hourly rate of 20.00 an hour. i mostly install the inside trim package,doors,base,trim out windows and sills,crown etc...I am on my own now and do not know pricing and can not afford the 499.00 for some of the pricing sites I have seen for contractors.I know most inside trim prices. I installed 6 vinyl windows and 2 Exterior doors for a builder. He does not like the framers to do it because they never shim them right or even level them so he asked me to do it.I want to know what a framer charges to install a single pane window,just put it in and nail it around the outside and apply the tape around the outside and of course level and shim the middle. I have been told 100 bucks,that seems high.Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for this?Man I would sure appreciate it.Thanks if you answer!

Mark

Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #2

I need advice please

Since this is a DIY site, we discourage people from offering pricing approximations for a contractor's work.

Heck, if you're a trim carpenter, there's no reason that you can't install a window in a house. If you need a hand we can walk you through it.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

I need advice please

Try: http://www.contractortalk.com/
Old 10-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #4

I need advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Since this is a DIY site, we discourage people from offering pricing approximations for a contractor's work.

Heck, if you're a trim carpenter, there's no reason that you can't install a window in a house. If you need a hand we can walk you through it.
I do not need help installing anything,my post said I all ready installed 6 vinyl windows and 2 exterior doors.I just do not want to be takin advantage of from my inexperience in pricing work or vice verse.I do not understand why I can not be helped in that manner,it is part of it

Mark
Old 10-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

I need advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S Custom Trim &Paint View Post
I do not need help installing anything,my post said I all ready installed 6 vinyl windows and 2 exterior doors.I just do not want to be takin advantage of from my inexperience in pricing work or vice verse.I do not understand why I can not be helped in that manner,it is part of it

Mark
Ok, this may be a little rude, but the response was rude:

Mark,

It's not rocket science.

This is a Do IT Yourself Site. Home Owners, renters, what have you- people, who do their own work, WITHOUT PAY, are the majority members here.

How the heck are they going to help you figure out pricing, if they are doing the work themselves.

It sounds very much to me, like you are just trying to get some free advertising here (looking for work):

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S Custom Trim &Paint View Post
...i have been a trim carpenter for about 14yrs,...in the Louisville,Ky area...I have installed windows and exterior doors in new homes before for a company at a hourly rate of 20.00 an hour.
.....I know most inside trim prices.... I have been told 100 bucks,that seems high.Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for this? Man I would sure appreciate it.Thanks if you answer!

Mark
Old 10-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #6

I need advice please

Sorry, I misread that part of your post and somehow garnered that you were asking about installing windows instead of the framers doing it. My bad. I apologize for offering you help you, and will refrain from doing so in the future.

Go to the bookstore and buy a copy of Means Residential Building Construction Cost Data. It will help you with labor rates in your area. Despite your disagreement with established policy on this website, your question does not fit within the appropriate demographic of this site (DIY and how-to repair).
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #7

I need advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Ok, this may be a little rude, but the response was rude:

Mark,

It's not rocket science.

This is a Do IT Yourself Site. Home Owners, renters, what have you- people, who do their own work, WITHOUT PAY, are the majority members here.

How the heck are they going to help you figure out pricing, if they are doing the work themselves.

It sounds very much to me, like you are just trying to get some free advertising here (looking for work):
Sorry if I sounded rude,but no free advertisement here.That's not the case at all.I just really needed help trying to figure out what I said.I went to the other site you said.I did not actually think about DO IT YOURSELF,wasn't thinking.I felt like he said," your a carpenter you should be able to do it ",like he did not even read my post.But I get it now,what this place is for.Thanks for the link.i put my same question over there.I got to give this builder a bill monday.What ever I charge.
Mark
Old 10-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #8

I need advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Sorry, I misread that part of your post and somehow garnered that you were asking about installing windows instead of the framers doing it. My bad. I apologize for offering you help you, and will refrain from doing so in the future.

Go to the bookstore and buy a copy of Means Residential Building Construction Cost Data. It will help you with labor rates in your area. Despite your disagreement with established policy on this website, your question does not fit within the appropriate demographic of this site (DIY and how-to repair).
I understand,thanks for the tip on the book.Seems like everybody misread everybody.I don't mean no harm,I am just pressed to figure this out by monday.
mark
Old 10-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #9
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I need advice please

time is money, its sad that you don,t know what your worth after 14 years. BOB
Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #10

I need advice please

Mark,

When I go into a new area to bid jobs I always check with local lumber yards for what a fair rate would be. Almost all of them are interested in selling me product so they point me to their salesman. He/She have always given me a ballpark of where I should be. I'd start there. Also, an in-person visit rather than over the phone works better.

Markets vary and the economy plays a role in what contractors charge. Everyone's budget has tightened with fuel prices and the stock issues. It's much harder today to price fairly for your efforts and still get work.

Good luck to you and lets all Pray this economy turns around quickly.

Tags
pricing