Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |

I just had a thought....sanded part of drywall and unsanded part?

I just was thinking that when you sand the drywall when you had put the mud on, the texture of the sanding is different than the texture of the bare drywall.

Will that show through when I paint?
I noticed on some of my walls, at the corners I can see some very faint vertical lines that look different than the rest of the wall.

I'm not so much concerned with the corners, as I am with the middle of the wall.

Thanks.

Also, what number grit sandpaper would I use?

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

A good PVA primer - seals, coats, covers and blends it all together.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

usually 200 grit ill put up a article in my blog tomorrow that talks about finishing drywall if you want to read it
PSHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

If I remember correctly, drywall joints appearing through the finish paint is referred to as "photographing."

In my experience, I typically use sanding screens attached to a vacuum-ported hand block. For the last sanding "hurrah," I load up the finest screen I can get (200 or 220 but I cannot remember which without rooting through my paint supplies storage box which is a disaster) and using light pressure, sand in a circular motion. I find that this creates more of a random pattern and fewer straight, parallel lines.

After that, I take a large, damp sponge and (lightly again) go over the entire area. This tends to smooth things even more and since the water and the dust seems to make a light slurry, it helps fill any grooves.

After all is cleaned up, dry and dust free, I apply a liberal coat of good primer prior to painting. In fact, I usually like to attack the joints first with a brush and then hit them again as I finish the entire wall with a roller (to blend any brush marks). I prefer and have had great sucess with Sherwin Williams but I imagine other manufacturers are equally as good.

Good luck, Yummy. You're gonna have to post some pictures of this palatial basement reno that you've been working on. Also, whatcha gonna do about the vapour barrier?!

Jimmy

Last edited by BigJimmy; 02-06-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Bad spelleng, bad grammer
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Generally, the next to last step of sanding, we just use a good drywall sanding sponge in a non directional motion to finish off wall areas.
We go back, last, with a bright halogen light to "touch-up" any nicks, dings, lines, dents, air bubble holes, etc.....with a coat of compound.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #6

Thanks all:

Atlantic: I will get the PVA primer, (whatever PVA means

Big Jimmy: thanks for your explanation, ahhh yes, that vapour barrier, you must have read the story......I took it all down, and decided to let the walls deal with it on their own.

Pshome: yes I will read any information you have on drywall.

I am hoping that I will become really good at taping that I will do limited sanding.
Am I living in a dream world?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #7

primer
comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
We go back, last, with a bright halogen light to "touch-up" any nicks, dings, lines, dents, air bubble holes, etc.....with a coat of compound.
Excellent point, one which I forgot to mention. Take your halogen light and hold it at an angle to the walls. All the imperfections show up in terms of shadows. Again, great point.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #9

PVA = poly vinyl acetate. this is a thin layer of plastic that seal the surface of the paper and mud so it absorbs paint evenly. It is not a primer in the strict sense of the word as it doesn't have as much "tooth" as primer.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
Will that show through when I paint?
I noticed on some of my walls, at the corners I can see some very faint vertical lines that look different than the rest of the wall.
most definately. I did all that was advised above, and, it shows through in places. If you can see it now, paint isn't going to hide nothing, rather accent it since it will be all the same color. fix it now before you paint.

i take comfort in knowing that only myself as the homeowner notices these sort of things
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #11

Actually, what I meant about the vertical lines in the corners, on my first and second floor of my house, which was done by a pro. You can see the lines, ever so faintly, but they are there.

I have not yet started to do my mudding in my basemen.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #12

Im not a drywall pro, but I always liked using the 3M sanding sponges in corners. Just my opinion. I use the fine side and edge to smooth out corners and give them a sharper 90 meeting point. Then lay a 10inch taping knife against one side of the corner to sand against it and smooth out each side. This keeps me from taking to much off one side while sanding the other. Sanding seems to be a lot of personal preference for method.
mgarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarfield View Post
Im not a drywall pro, but I always liked using the 3M sanding sponges in corners. Just my opinion. I use the fine side and edge to smooth out corners and give them a sharper 90 meeting point. Then lay a 10inch taping knife against one side of the corner to sand against it and smooth out each side. This keeps me from taking to much off one side while sanding the other. Sanding seems to be a lot of personal preference for method.

Thanks m.
I will keep the tips in mind.