Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I bought some land with old house on it, is it worth fixing?

There is a holes in the roof and floors, it's above ground house only and has been sitting on a brick type foundation that has broken apart at the edges. The siding and studs on the walls all are dry and none damaged, but there is some wet damage to one side of the flooring. Like a few studs.

It's a smaller house 2 bedroom i was thinking if there is some way i can lift the house and redo the foundation and part of the flooring and reset on foundation if this is possible with maybe hydraulics. But just don't know how to move it out of the way. But if i did that i could fix the roof and rest of the flooring and I'd pritty much be on my way from there, but is it worth it?

Should I just try and find a modular home to move to site, or even just demolish the house and redo a foundation and pay someone to put up the studs for a new house with roof and siding and do the rest myself?

I get a lot of time off from work so i do have time to spend on the house to fix it up and i want to do it cheapest way possible.

jayinwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think the foundation is the key. If that can be fixed without a lot of demo, I would say the rest of the house can be fixed, probably for considerably less than building new.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

well the foundation definitely needs fixing, has anyone lifted a smaller house before to fix the foundation?
jayinwww is offline   Reply With Quote