Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to CornfieldsRus
Share |

Hydraulic Cement/Basement

i have a 100 year old house with an old cellar that had a back porch built on top of the entrance and was converted into a "basement"

it has a lot of cracks in the floor/walls its in pretty bad shape. It leaks pretty bad when we get a lot of rain but i have a sump pump and dehumidifier going. When we get heavy rains it comes through the floor cracks and where walls and floor meet due to the pressure underneath it.

The house hasnt had gutters in ages and im having some seamless put on in a few weeks. Im hoping gutters will drastically help out with the problem.

Once the gutters are on im going to powerwash and clean everything up. i plan on powerwashing out all the cracks to get some dirt out of the way. then im going to fill every nook and cranny i can find with hydraulic cement.

my questions for you are.......where can you find large amounts of hydraulic cement? i went to menards and all they had was 3 gallon buckets full. i will need a lot more than that. can you buy it in big bags like regular cement?

also, ive read a lot of posts saying to try and open up the crack into a dovetail type of hole. How do you do this?

I in no way shape or form plan for this to be the complete fix to my problem im sure i will still get SOME water in there but believe me anything helps at this point

And i dont have the money for the large expensive repairs that are usually suggested. if this fails i think i may just dig around the perimeter where the walls/floor meet and go that route.

Thanks

CornfieldsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 AM   #2

i would like to also add that i have an old brick cistern roughly 15 feet away from the walls of this "basement"

someone filled the thing almost to the top with old cans and metal scraps. I have a friend who drives a concrete mixer truck for a living who offered to stop by when he has extra and fill it up for me

would this be a wise thing to do?

Old 09-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornfieldsRus View Post
i would like to also add that i have an old brick cistern roughly 15 feet away from the walls of this "basement"

someone filled the thing almost to the top with old cans and metal scraps. I have a friend who drives a concrete mixer truck for a living who offered to stop by when he has extra and fill it up for me

would this be a wise thing to do?
No. The best thing you could do would be to empty it, demolish it, and fill it with gravel and soil. You don't want a 20 ton concrete monolith 15 feet from your house.

As for hydraulic cement, I've never seen it in larger quantities than the tubs. You might check with commercial construction supply companies.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #4

Since you have so many cracks to fill, I'd recommend a compressor with an air chisel. Otherwise a cold chisel and a small mallet will work to open up the cracks.
Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #5

how do you guy open up the cracks into the right shape? i just cant picture how it would be done? I have an air compressor and plenty of air tools/hammers etc so im not afraid of taking on the job. thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
i have a 100 year old house with an old cellar that had a back porch built on top of the entrance and was converted into a "basement"

it has a lot of cracks in the floor/walls its in pretty bad shape. It leaks pretty bad when we get a lot of rain but i have a sump pump and dehumidifier going. When we get heavy rains it comes through the floor cracks and where walls and floor meet due to the pressure underneath it.

The house hasnt had gutters in ages and im having some seamless put on in a few weeks. Im hoping gutters will drastically help out with the problem.

Once the gutters are on im going to powerwash and clean everything up. i plan on powerwashing out all the cracks to get some dirt out of the way. then im going to fill every nook and cranny i can find with hydraulic cement.

my questions for you are.......where can you find large amounts of hydraulic cement? i went to menards and all they had was 3 gallon buckets full. i will need a lot more than that. can you buy it in big bags like regular cement?

also, ive read a lot of posts saying to try and open up the crack into a dovetail type of hole. How do you do this?

I in no way shape or form plan for this to be the complete fix to my problem im sure i will still get SOME water in there but believe me anything helps at this point

And i dont have the money for the large expensive repairs that are usually suggested. if this fails i think i may just dig around the perimeter where the walls/floor meet and go that route.

Thanks
Powerwashing may not be a good idea.

Most mold remediation companies sand the surfaces down while vacuuming with a hepa vac.

You're better off scraping all the dirt off and then vacuuming.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
how do you guy open up the cracks into the right shape? i just cant picture how it would be done? I have an air compressor and plenty of air tools/hammers etc so im not afraid of taking on the job. thanks
The way I've done it in the past is to just go in at 45 degree angles on either side of the crack with the chisel. Just enough to open it up more inside that the opening, that was the cement can really set into the crack when it cures/expands.
Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #8

My daughter has same problem with additional tidal flow adding to poor drainage in the area. I wondered how this basement fix went. Were you able to dovetail fissures. Did you find hydraulic cement in larger quanities? if any other info here I would appreciate a holler.

hallofame is offline   Reply With Quote