Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

Hump in middle of upstairs master bdrm floor

Anyone know how to fix a approx. 3x5' hump in the floor of the upstairs master bdrm? I live in a condo/townhome and i want to replace the carpet with laminate floor. There are cracks that are wider at the top than the bottom around the windows so i know there is some settling on the end of the room or foundation. I was hoping i could get away with removing some subfloor and planing the joist.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

skiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #2

Does this hump correspond to a bearing wall under it? When you say cracks around the window, what do you mean? On the wall or uneven gaps between the sash and window frame? If on the wall what does the foundation look like?
I'd put the floor job on hold until you know what's going on with the structure.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #3

I just measured and confirmed the hump is right over a bearing wall.
The crack is under the window sill and goes to the floor. Its uneven
and wider at the top but the crack is 1/8'' The window is close to the line of the hump. I know a few other people in my condo complex that have this same issue. To bad their 45 years old and built on a old landfill i hear.

Am i screwed or do you think i can fix it with my pocket knife? LOL

Thanks again for any advice.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

I've seen that problem when the second floor of a unit is wider than the first floor.Sometimes the joists are not going in the right direction,so the framer put in short joists to account for the overhang.This causes the weight of everything on those shorter joists to push up on the back of the joists,which is usually a few feet back from that outside wall,causing the uplift.
If the foundation is in good shape ,this may be your next consideration.
If thats the problem,it should have never passed inspection.
Too late for a law suit.
The condo association,if you have one,should be notified and have all the units with this problem inspected.If they are good at keeping up the property,maybe any fees you pay will be used to remedy the situation.

Last edited by oldfrt; 11-06-2007 at 06:16 PM.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #5

What are the chances of anyone NOT clicking on this thread title?

"Hump in middle of upstairs master bdrm floor"

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #6

"Am i screwed or do you think i can fix it with my pocket knife? LOL"

You're not going to fix it with a pocket knife. Too soon to know about the screwed part.
What about the foundation under the cracked wall? You know, the thing that holds up the house. What about the first floor, any evidence of structural issues?
As oldfrt brought up, is the second floor cantilevered out over the first?
What have your neighbors done about the problem?
Ron
Old 11-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Hey Skiffman,
Come back and tell us how you make out.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #8

There are sooooo many different ways this thread could go
rick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #9

rick your funny.

As far as i know the neighbors have not done anything about it. Just living with it like we have. I think the latest craze of laminate floors is what starts this kind of madness about leveling floors. We lived with the hump under the carpet for 20 years now. The downstairs appears to be ok as far as the structure goes and i dont think the second floor is cantilevered out over the first either. What would they charge me to come over and give me an opinion? They meaning an expert.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #10

mosr contractors in my area give free estimates. A lot of times if you call them with a brief explaination, theyll give you a ball park figure
rick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #11

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
"Am i screwed or do you think i can fix it with my pocket knife? LOL"

You're not going to fix it with a pocket knife. Too soon to know about the screwed part.
What about the foundation under the cracked wall? You know, the thing that holds up the house. What about the first floor, any evidence of structural issues?
As oldfrt brought up, is the second floor cantilevered out over the first?
What have your neighbors done about the problem?
Ron
Not trying to hijack this thread, but no one has posted in it for a while so here goes...

I am having this same issue in my master bedroom on the 2nd floor of my townhouse. The 2nd floor IS cantilevered (sp?) over the first floor by about 4 feet, and that is where the hump in the floor is. It seems like the floor slopes slightly if you walk towards the outer wall. There is no evidence of wall cracking downstairs or upstairs. I haven't talked to the neighbors to see if they are having the same issue, although I would be surprised if they didn't.

Should I talk to the HOA? Should I get an estimate from a contractor? And Does anyone know if major $$$ are involved? Has anyone had experience fixing this situation? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Pat
Dsmdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #12

[quote=Dsmdiggler;88294]Not trying to hijack this thread, but no one has posted in it for a while so here goes...

I am having this same issue in my master bedroom on the 2nd floor of my townhouse. The 2nd floor IS cantilevered (sp?) over the first floor by about 4 feet, and that is where the hump in the floor is. It seems like the floor slopes slightly if you walk towards the outer wall. There is no evidence of wall cracking downstairs or upstairs. I haven't talked to the neighbors to see if they are having the same issue, although I would be surprised if they didn't.

Should I talk to the HOA? Should I get an estimate from a contractor? And Does anyone know if major $$$ are involved? Has anyone had experience fixing this situation? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Pat

Four feet is a boatload of weight. I would think the only remedy would be supports under the overhang over the entire span. Big beam, alot of posts and a really large jack to crank it back where it belongs.
Sounds like someone mis engineered or took liberties with the plans.
Ron
Old 01-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Four feet is a boatload of weight. I would think the only remedy would be supports under the overhang over the entire span. Big beam, alot of posts and a really large jack to crank it back where it belongs.
Sounds like someone mis engineered or took liberties with the plans.
Ron
Thanks for the reply. I have a new relative that is a former contractor and he seemed to think that could be a solution as well. Something tells me the HOA wouldn't approve of me putting up beams and posts. Perhaps I should talk to the HOA.

Thanks again,

Patrick
Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #14

You should look at the plans the house was built with. They should be on file at the Building Dept. With a 4' overhang I would expect some serious steel.
Ron
Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #15

I'll get out there with a measuring tape tonight. I eyed it at four feet although it may be in between three and four. I'll snap a couple pics too. Thanks again for the help,

Patrick