Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

Share |

How would you patch this?

The concrete block can be removed. I'll most likely take out the step to get to it and replace the block. But with what type of mortar would you use? If at all possible I'd like NOT to have to mix anything. There are some 1/8th of an inch cracks in the basement mortar that also need repair. Would I use the same stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
How would you patch this?-dscf3237.jpg  

smawgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #2

Hard to get around the, "I'd like NOT to have to mix anything.", issue. It sort of limits the choices, don't you think?
Hemorrhoid cream or toothpaste comes to mind. That should fit in the 1/8" crack, so to speak.
If the restrictions ease up, let me know. We can go old school with the advice.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Hard to get around the, "I'd like NOT to have to mix anything.", issue. It sort of limits the choices, don't you think?
Hemorrhoid cream or toothpaste comes to mind. That should fit in the 1/8" crack, so to speak.
If the restrictions ease up, let me know. We can go old school with the advice.
Ron
So what you are saying is that you have no experience with anything that fits the bill that you don't have to mix right?... other than your sarcastic remark about toothpaste and hemmoroid cream. "limits my choices, don't you think"? I don't know...that's why am asking. Thanks for all of the great advice.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smawgunner View Post
So what you are saying is that you have no experience with anything that fits the bill that you don't have to mix right?... other than your sarcastic remark about toothpaste and hemmoroid cream. "limits my choices, don't you think"? I don't know...that's why am asking. Thanks for all of the great advice.
What I'm saying is that what's required for the repair does not fall into your parameters of a solution. It makes no sense to show us a problem and start with, "I can't do this" or "I won't do that".
If you want to fix this, it's going to take, "mixing" Specifically, mortar mixing.
You take it apart, clean up the joints and reapply the mortar.
Pretty simple, but you need to be willing to make the effort.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
What I'm saying is that what's required for the repair does not fall into your parameters of a solution. It makes no sense to show us a problem and start with, "I can't do this" or "I won't do that".
If you want to fix this, it's going to take, "mixing" Specifically, mortar mixing.
You take it apart, clean up the joints and reapply the mortar.
Pretty simple, but you need to be willing to make the effort.
Ron
Apparently you didn't take the time to read my post. Never did I say "I can't do this" or "I won't do that". Reread it. I simply said "If at all possible I'd like NOT to have to mix anything.". IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. It'd be more helpful if you didn't ride my @$$ out of the gate and gave me something to go on besides sarcasm. I don't know a damn thing about mortar or cement products, that's why I asked. Again, thanks for such helpful advice.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Too Old

How about you use some Epoxy injection resin maybe a Grade 1 Type IV, you will have to prep then fill but this is only a guess.
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

They make epoxy in a caulk tube, simply use your caulk gun to dispense.

The stuf ain't cheap, but the mixing part is done right in the elongated nozzle.

Here is one link for such a product.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

I've seen some concrete repair stuff that comes in caulking tubes. Maybe you can use that? Well, at least for the cracks, I don't know about the mortar, but there might be a similar product.

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/MortarRepair.asp

http://www.ashgrovepkg.com/assets/pd...PAIR-CAULK.pdf

BTW, most mortar that needs mixing is "just add water" as far as I can tell. I'm no pro though. But I won't bug you about mixing because that doesn't answer your question.

Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote