Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How would you frame this?

I'm working on planning out how the framing will work for one of the walls of my basement and I'm stuck with a tricky situation. First off, I live in Denver so framing is done slightly differently here - you essentially hang walls from the ceiling and pin them at the bottom. This allows the floor to heave without causing any damage.

My basement has 8ft ceilings, and right down the middle is a steel I-beam and a ton of ductwork that drops the ceiling to slightly below 7'. Of course, my plan has a wall directly below this section. The I-beam is supported by an 8" concrete stem well (it's not continuous the whole length of the proposed wall), and the wife wants the wall to be flat on both sides of the room. I've come up with an interesting solution that I'm trying to decide if it will work:

Here, I'm going to build a soffit with 2x4s and essentially hang the two walls from the soffit. The underside of the soffit will be bolted to the I-Beam and the walls will be hung very close to the bolts.

The I-Beam and HVAC can't be moved, and I can't figure out any better solutions. The idea of hanging walls from a soffit concerns me, but this is more of a structural soffit as its made from 2x4 and bolted to the I-Beam.

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

raungst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #2

I live in a cold area too, but we don't frame our basements like that. If your house shifts that much there's a problem.
Btw, your solution seems ok to me.

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #3

I would agree, but thats the code. We have a lot of bentonite in the soil which supposedly could cause heaves up to 3". The foundation goes down far enough that it doesn't get affected, but the basement floor just sits on the ground.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #4

Well what about the posts supporting the beam, do they shift too?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #5

I believe the post foundations are poured separately so that they're below the frost line.

I agree that if the floor really moved that much there would be problems. It certainly makes framing much more difficult.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #6

i myself would build the sofit & walls w/metel studs & track then you can fabercate all you want, as for your floor i am in ill. and our probem is revesed we have to worry about our comm. roofs so we use what is called deep leg track @top & then remove the screws from the top track & will have about 2" from top track & the stud just an idea good luck.

samps70 is offline   Reply With Quote