How Would I Finish My Attic - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how would i finish my attic

i want to finish my attic with my dad it has alot of potential but i think it needs
to be reinforced i know it already has some insulation i can get pictures later if necessary i know id need to put up drywall put in a floor some how and all that other stuff my dad thinks it will cost like 6000$ but i think it will cost alot less i would also need to run electricity up there sorry if this is the wrong section im new

Advertisement

beastmode986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
i want to finish my attic with my dad but he thinks it will cost 6000$ to fix it
i know i need to reinforce it and put up drywall and put in a floor somehow
id need to insulate it and run electricity up there but im not sure how id do this
how much should this cost and how difficult could it be also the only openeing to get into the attic is like 3 feet or 4 feet long and like 3 feet wide
No one here can tell you what the costs will be. You have to have permits and inspections to do this. You will have to have a several Contractors come in and give you an idea about costs.

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
No one here can tell you what the costs will be. You have to have permits and inspections to do this. You will have to have a several Contractors come in and give you an idea about costs.
I certainly agree that he will need permits and have to have inspections but depending on his abilities and those of his father I really don't see a need to have a contractor involved if they're capable. Finishing an area like this within an existing structure is a great DIY project in many cases.

To the OP, can you provide some pictures and possibly they sketched out floor plan of the area. It will certainly help other users in providing you see more information.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
i want to finish my attic with my dad it has alot of potential but i think it needs
to be reinforced i know it already has some insulation i can get pictures later if necessary i know id need to put up drywall put in a floor some how and all that other stuff my dad thinks it will cost like 6000$ but i think it will cost alot less i would also need to run electricity up there sorry if this is the wrong section im new
Posting photos will help.
Does the space have windows?
What sort of house is it? Cape? Colonial?
Does it have trusses in the attic or is it built with framing lumber(2x8, 2x10's, etc)?
Height from the floor to the ridge beam?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Assuming that there's roof joists and not attic trusses: The roof insulation needs to be done by someone who knows how to properly do it or you could have some very major problems such as frost heave, roof leaks, and of course heat loss. Get this done by a professional!
househugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I would also need to run electricity up there
Verify your existing panel load and service size. Depending on the age and size of your house a service upgrade may be a part of the equation. Also, you'll need a licensed electrician for any panel work. Even if it's not required, it's just a good idea.

Advertisement