Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #1

Share |

How would i finish this loft???? (pics)

Hey,
We are adding on 2 additions and since they have high cathederal ceiling we thought we would make use of the space. We added a loft in the Boys bedroom. On the backside of the loft and under it is going to be a built in home theatre set up and bookshelves. So 20 inches of the loft is over the 6 foot wall you see in the picture. THe loft is about 6 feet long and 9+ wide.
We are trying to figure out the best way to childproof it with some kind of railing and also the best way to put stairs up there.
Right now i am leaning towards adding stairs on the left side that would come up inside the loft so we dont take away space out in the bedroom. I will draw a little on the pics to show what i mean.....

I will add a pic of before we put the loft up...
Attached Thumbnails
How would i finish this loft???? (pics)-img_0045.jpg   How would i finish this loft???? (pics)-img_0063.jpg   How would i finish this loft???? (pics)-img_0065.jpg  

oregonrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #2

May be kind of spendy but a spiral staircase would save a ton of space. Then just a standard handrail would put you up to code. I suggest finding a local custom designer to pre-fab the staircase. Once you have the stairs installation is a piece of cake.

But if its a kids loft perhaps a solid 42" wall would be better to prevent cars and balls and such from zipping under the rail.

jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #3

What about a ladder? You could customize something for them and make it look real nice. I would personally put in a knee wall and build the ladder so they climb over the wall to get to the loft. That way there is no opening to fall down. I can't really tell how much head room there so that might be a problem.
steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:01 AM   #4

I might first try to figure out how I could make stairs instead of a ladder. Ladders are more dangerous and more difficult to access. Especially if you are going to be using the space often.

The spiral staircase would be a good space saver and kind of a neat effect, especially in an open area like a loft.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote