Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How to use Existing Wall

Hello everyone. I am building a room in my attic. My original plan was to build a wall next to the exisiting wall and have 4 independent walls. Now I am thinking I could just use the exisiting wall. How do I tie in a top plate in the exisiting wall for the ceiling joists to sit on? The wall itself is plenty high 20' plus at its peak and 10' at the bottom. Can I nail a 2x4 flat to the exisitng studs and put another 2x4 on top for the shelf for the joists to sit on. How would I tie in the new walls to the old wall? Thanks for the help!

bduncan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,122

How to use Existing Wall

Post a picture of the room.
A few things to concider when converting an attic.
The spacing and width of the floor joist, most attice were not built to be living space and may cause cracks or sagging in the ceiling below.
There has to be a legal sized point of egress.
How are you going to insulate it. Often times you have to add spacing to the rafters to allow enough room for the insulation and baffles.
How are you going to get the heat and wiring up there.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table

Last edited by joecaption; 02-23-2013 at 11:41 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

How to use Existing Wall

The flooring is 2X10 16" spacing. The flooring was built to be added on later. This is a video of the house. 4:30 starts the attic. Attached below is a picture of the wall. I will be building a room and this would be the right wall.
Attached Thumbnails
How to use Existing Wall-attic2.jpg  
bduncan118 is offline   Reply With Quote