Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to tie in to existing framing

We are adding a single story addition to the back of our two story home. I plan to frame all four walls, basically having a double wall between, so we can have a pocket door. The new framing will be 2 x 6, while the old framing is 2 x 4. What are some good ways of tying these two walls together?

jasandyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

Not exactly sure of why you are doing the double wall. You can put a pocket door into the existing 2x4 wall.
If you build 2 walls you can tie them together every 4' with a 2' piece of plywood.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Not exactly sure of why you are doing the double wall. You can put a pocket door into the existing 2x4 wall.
If you build 2 walls you can tie them together every 4' with a 2' piece of plywood.
How does this work? I can't picture it.
Planning: Kitchen Reno
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

I think he wants to build 2 walls with say 1&3/4" between them. The plywood would go on top of the two walls tying them together.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #5

I actually planned to butt the new 2 x 6 wall up to the old wall because I've always heard pocket doors need at least a 2 x 6 wall. The wall on the old construction is not open above since it is a two story house, so I don't think the plywood would work out.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,486

I'm doing a 2-story addition....the back wall of the existing house is now also one wall of the addition. I Knocked out the corner studs...put in new ones that were tied to my new side walls. I just cut the top plate of the existing walls where they intersected the corner...and overlapped the top plate of the new wall to make for a nice secure connection....

It's my understand that when you can't overlap the top plates....you use hardware straps....

Think about it...why add another wall and loose 3.5 to 6" of space? Over a 20' span, that would be up to 10 sq feet...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #7

They make pocket door kits for 2x4 walls, Lowes, HD, Menards all have them. They work fine only down side is you have to glue the dry wall to the part the door goes into and absolutely nothing can go on the walls on either side that will penetrate the drywall.

That may or may not be a big deal depending on your room design. If you need to use the wall space for electric, plumbing whatever then two 2x4 walls with a space between them is the only option.
HalfHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasandyc
We are adding a single story addition to the back of our two story home. I plan to frame all four walls, basically having a double wall between, so we can have a pocket door. The new framing will be 2 x 6, while the old framing is 2 x 4. What are some good ways of tying these two walls together?
Why would you.need a double wall for a pocket.door and not use the existing wall?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasandyc View Post
I actually planned to butt the new 2 x 6 wall up to the old wall because I've always heard pocket doors need at least a 2 x 6 wall.
Where did you hear that? 100% wrong! You are wasting your time, material, labor and space building another wall for no reason at all.

The only reason I could see doing that is if the existing wall has any electric, plumbing, ducts in the way for the pocket door header. Rerouting something like that could be a problem. With the pocket door in a new wall that could eliminate the problem because the opening in the existing wall only has to be where the pocket door will open.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 05-08-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Carola For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I'm doing a 2-story addition....the back wall of the existing house is now also one wall of the addition. I Knocked out the corner studs...put in new ones that were tied to my new side walls. I just cut the top plate of the existing walls where they intersected the corner...and overlapped the top plate of the new wall to make for a nice secure connection....It's my understand that when you can't overlap the top plates....you use hardware straps....
What does that have to do with him framing a new wall in front of the existing wall? It has nothing to do with him wanting to add a wall in front of the existing wall. He frames the two new side walls first and if he wanted to add another wall in front of the existing wall, that wall would go in between the two new side walls.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #11

Yes you can get pocket door kits for a 2x4 wall. I recommend sheeting it with at least 1/2" plywood under the drywall if not 3/4", Full sheet in the area of the door opening and strips on the rest of the wall to bring it all flush. This really stiffens it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #12

Okay, I'm eliminating the extra wall. I still do not know how to tie in the ends of the addition walls securely to the existing framing. I will also need to tie in the end truss of the addition to the existing house wall. Are there special steel straps for this, or can I just use lag screws?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #13

Strip off any siding back to the sheeting or 1by boards. When your new wall meets the old see if there isbacking in the old wall, if not put some in, nail the new wall last stud to the old wall.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasandyc View Post
Okay, I'm eliminating the extra wall. I still do not know how to tie in the ends of the addition walls securely to the existing framing. I will also need to tie in the end truss of the addition to the existing house wall. Are there special steel straps for this, or can I just use lag screws?
Here is a link to the pocket door that I'm using in my 2-story addition....it's made for a 4" thick wall.

http://www.pocketdoorproducts.com/30...kit-p-120.html

You can download the install instructions and it should answer most of your questions.

To tie in to your existing wall....you have to strip it back to the studs....your top plate should be 2 layers of studs.....depending on how your existing top plate is done, you should be able to cut the top corner off 3 1/2"....then the top plate of your new wall overlaps and nails to this spot....you might also have to put in hardware (Simpson strap) to help tie it in...

You can click on the link in my signature and see some pics of my existing and new framing....even though one poster seems to think that it does not apply....what does he know....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote