Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
built in 1900

Rewards Points: 10

How to stop a leak in basement wall?

We own a home built in 1900. I plan to finish the basement this year but first we must fix a leak. When it rains water seeps in through the brick below grade. I had the same problem on the other side of the house but corrected it by attatching a downspout extender to make sure the water runs well away from the house. I tried the same thing on the side where the problem exists. The water runs well away from the house but the problem is still there. There is no water pooling/running anywhere near the home. There is an old boxwood plant in that spot(could water be traveling down the roots)? The area is small/shallow enough that I could dig it with a shovel. I just need to know if I just need to brush on a rubberized compound on the brick or put in a weeping system or both?

Last edited by Ammons Home; 03-02-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Ammons Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
DIYer

Rewards Points: 75

It might not be that the rain water is running down from the surface, but rather than ground water is coming up when it rains. It might be that your house is sitting in or close to the water table, and when it rains the water in the ground rises up and finds its way into your house through the walls. I had that problem. The solution was not pretty - we had to excavate all sides of our house, clean, tar, and plastic the walls, install a perforated collection pipe at the bottom of the trench, then backfill the trench with river rock gravel.

You can check if it's ground water coming up by digging a smallish hole next to your foundation, maybe 3' in diameter and 4' deep. See if you hit water. In my case, I had to go to near the bottom of the foundation, 6' deep, before I found water laying there. But when it rained a lot, that water came up higher.

Last edited by jpsmith; 03-03-2009 at 07:12 AM.
jpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
built in 1900

Thats a thought! The pics show the part of the basement that is the most under ground other than the front porch that is a deep under ground as the wall you see in the background. The place I took pics of is the only place I have a problem. Everywhere else is level with grade.........
Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Could the water be travelling along the foundation uphill, and just going underneath that side wall after pooling in the corner?
It looks worse at the right corner of the interior pic.
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

all this is conjecture as no one's been able to actually ' SEE ' what's going on down by the footer,,, unless you're willing/able to excavate down to its level bottom & resolve the problem, anything else's just treating the results of the cause & not resolving the issue.

1, water runs downhill;
2, it takes the path of lease resistance;
3, it rushes to fill a void; &
4, it seeks its own level,,, understanding these 4 basic rules can ease the process.

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
built in 1900

Thanx everyone for your input. Guess I'll get the shovel out and start diggin!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,106

Be careful not to undermine the retaining wall footing when you dig.

jogr is online now   Reply With Quote