Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |

How to sound proof an exterior wall

We live close to a busy intersection and the sounds are getting to us - especially cars with loud exhaust at 2am.....

This is for our master bedroom on the 2nd floor and house is approx three years old. There are three windows in room and two walls facing the intersection (corner of house) - the other walls are all interior walls. How could we reduce the noise? What is involved? Thanks!

hochhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #2

You can buy windows made especially for noisey areas. They use them around airports. You can replace the regular sheetrock with sound deadening sheets that are sandwiched together with a special liner in the middle. There is also a product you can wrap around the back of any outlet boxes that will reduce sound transmissions.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
E-lec-tri-city

Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

Yea, I stayed at the London Heathrow Hilton once and it was basically right next to one of the runways. Never heard a thing, had a great night's sleep. When I headed to the terminal the next morning, as soon as I was outside the hotel door it was like I had stuck my head in a jet engine.

Don't know what they used but the soundproofing was most excellent.
brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

What's your budget?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #5

I just started to look into this so I really do not have a budget yet. Repalcing windows and sheet rock sounds very expensive. I'm willing to spend some money $500-1K, but not thousands.... It's just those stupid imports and crotch rockets that go by occasionally but it is enough to wake us up.

I was going to have a company that specializes in this give me an estimate (expensive I am sure) but thought I would start here first.
hochhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochhaus View Post
I just started to look into this so I really do not have a budget yet. Repalcing windows and sheet rock sounds very expensive. I'm willing to spend some money $500-1K, but not thousands.... It's just those stupid imports and crotch rockets that go by occasionally but it is enough to wake us up.

I was going to have a company that specializes in this give me an estimate (expensive I am sure) but thought I would start here first.
With that budget, I'd go with earplugs. A window would take care of just about all the funds.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Soundproofing Guy

Hard to make an armchair speculation as to what is needed without knowing the whole story. For street noise, the attic is often a big culprit, for example. Sound doesn't always take a straight path from the source to your ears.

I would place a heavy moving blanket over just the windows to see if there is a drop in the street noise. If so, you now know more than before.

Windows are very expensive, and you may want to build plugs instead
Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Jim

Looks like you post are just for advertising purposes.
Please use the contact us tab at the bottom of the page to purchase advertising, Than you.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote