Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Share |
Question

How to Sister I Joist


Hello,

I'm new to DIY and looking for a little advice. I am placing a 175 gallon aquarium in my living room and need to reinforce the floor it will be. Below the living room is unfinished and I have access to the floor joists ( I joists that are 24 inch on center). The aquarium will have to go parallel with two joists along a load bearing wall. Others have recommended I sister the two I joists with 2x12 and I should be fine. Would screwing or nailing a 2x12 into the I joist compromise the joist? What would be the best and most cost effective way to reinforce the floor for an aquarium? The house was built in September 2012. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to do something that can affect my new home, in a negative way.

datahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,303
Default

How to Sister I Joist


That would work if it can fit in the webbing of the joist.
Georgia Pacific suggest just using 3/4 plywood or OSB on both sides with constrution adhesive and nails.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
datahoe (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Default

How to Sister I Joist


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That would work if it can fit in the webbing of the joist.
Georgia Pacific suggest just using 3/4 plywood or OSB on both sides with constrution adhesive and nails.
Thank you. So would I need to have the plywood or OSB span the entire webbing? From wall to wall is approximately 12 feet.
datahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,681
Default

How to Sister I Joist


for extra strength fill in between the top and bottom chord with plywood then sister along the full width of it with plywood as well. do it so its glued and screwed but when you fill between the chords maks sure you dont cut it so its deadly tight leave 1/8 - 3/16 gap as if you cut it tight you can spread the joist apart which desroys its integrity
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 1,663
Default

How to Sister I Joist


exactly what woodworkbykirk mentioned except don't forget to stagger the plywood seams away from each other as far as possible. staggered seams will help make the span stronger
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Default

How to Sister I Joist


Thanks for the advice. Just so that I am clear, when you say "fill in between the top and bottom chord with plywood" you cutting plywood and screwing/nailing it to the webbing with adhesive? And to "sister along the full width as well" you mean add an additional piece of plywood on the outside screwing/nailing it to the top and bottom flange? Sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I do this right for this and future projects since this is my first real DIY project.
datahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Default

How to Sister I Joist


Thanks hand drive, I'm not sure what is meant by staggering the plywood seems. Can you clarify for me? Thanks again
datahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,093
Default

How to Sister I Joist


Staggering the plywood means to offset the plywood seams on each side of the joist. Plywood comes in 8' lengths, so you will have a splice on each side.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Default

How to Sister I Joist


Thanks sixeightten....now it makes sense!
datahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
AHH, SPANS!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 1,663
Default

How to Sister I Joist


if you have a 10' span, an 8' piece of ply would be used with a 2' piece to finish it out.v next over lap the opposite direction putting the seam on the opposite side. then cut ply to go over those that is wide enough to cover the full width of the joist bottom cord to top cord...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,681
Default

How to Sister I Joist


most i joists have a 1" gap betwwen the web and the chords so i take 2 layers of 1/2" ply to fill it.. first starting with a 8' peice centered then fill in the ends. then for the 2nd layer just switch it.. start from the end then finish. then a layer of either 1/2" or 3/4 on the outside
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,968
Default

How to Sister I Joist


Depends on the brand for the thickness of ply fillers. Some I's are rated at 1500#, others ? Offset nail the fasteners into the top/bottom chord as well, C-3; F-11 if sistering another I-joist. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...GHwNIkSbvrbL_A

I would not use a new solid wood joist as a sister in your case.

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southeastern US
Posts: 222
Default

How to Sister I Joist


Quote:
Originally Posted by datahoe View Post
Hello,

I'm new to DIY and looking for a little advice. I am placing a 175 gallon aquarium in my living room and need to reinforce the floor it will be. Below the living room is unfinished and I have access to the floor joists ( I joists that are 24 inch on center). The aquarium will have to go parallel with two joists along a load bearing wall. Others have recommended I sister the two I joists with 2x12 and I should be fine. Would screwing or nailing a 2x12 into the I joist compromise the joist? What would be the best and most cost effective way to reinforce the floor for an aquarium? The house was built in September 2012. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to do something that can affect my new home, in a negative way.
I have to question wether the proposed "sistering" method is legitimately proper for your case.

175 gallons equals 1457.75 lbs.

With my background in construction and structure engineering, I would recommend considering seriously building a weight bearing framed wall directly underneath the aquarium to permenantly transfer the weight from the floor joists to the concrete slab of your basement.

Otherwise, you will dent your floor joist system in that very spot, causing unwanted problems down the road.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by oodssoo; 12-26-2012 at 09:54 PM.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Default

How to Sister I Joist


Thanks all for your replies! I am beginning to gather a way to proceed with this project
datahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Default

How to Sister I Joist


Quote:
Originally Posted by oodssoo View Post
I have to question wether the proposed "sistering" method is legitimately proper for your case.

175 gallons equals 1457.75 lbs.

With my background in construction and structure engineering, I would recommend considering seriously building a weight bearing framed wall directly underneath the aquarium to permenantly transfer the weight from the floor joists to the concrete slab of your basement.

Otherwise, you will dent your floor joist system in that very spot, causing unwanted problems down the road.

Hope this helps.
oodssoo you have a valid point. I originally thought about having a framing wall built but due to the space I would be losing I shifted focus. Maybe I need to revisit that idea if this will cause some type of structural issues in the future. As i mentioned this is a new home and I hate to cause problems later down the line. Would applying the same suggestions as the others about filling the joist and strengthening it then using jack posts to transfer the weight to the basement slab work the same as building a frame? I still have a few weeks before the aquarium arrives to finish the project. Thanks again for your comments and recommendations

datahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sister Joist - Notch Question pleasedrivefast Building & Construction 8 06-01-2012 07:50 AM
Widening gap - notch sister joist or cinder block? John_W Building & Construction 6 06-29-2011 08:37 AM
Dryer duct hole thru band joist & floor joist justplumducky General DIY Discussions 12 10-05-2010 12:31 PM
Supporting joist under cracked tile JT31 Building & Construction 2 08-26-2010 08:00 AM
sister a joist Jack Hass Carpentry 7 06-19-2007 05:39 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.