Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |

how to side the top of an alcove ??

I'm building a custom shed. There will be an alcove on the side of the shed to store firewood. Inside the shed, above the alcove will be some built in shelves. I hope I can explain my problem in words, so here goes.

When looking at the exterior siding of the shed at say the four foot level, from left to right:
outside corner (8 feet high)
about 6 inches of siding
another outside corner to turn back into the alcove (6 feet high)
about 2 feet of siding (side of alcove)
inside corner
8 feet of siding (back of alcove)
inside corner
2 feet of siding
outside corner
6 inches of siding
outside corner
Hope that explains the idea.

Above the alcove, starting at about the 6 foot level, the siding goes straight across the building.
outside corner (8 foot)
9 feet of siding
outside corner (8 foot)

The problem is how do I make the transition at the top of those 6 foot outside corners that have a piece of siding going straight across the top of them.

If rain is coming in that direction, they will be open at the top and water will get behind them.

papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #2

Picture= 1000 words.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

I can Draw it with VISIO, and save it as a JPG, Is there any way to upload the JPG to the forum?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #4

If I managed to upload the visio drawing, here is what it represents:

The top picture is the side of the shed. The opening is not a doorway, it is a 2 foot deep alcove for storing firewood.

The picture to the side shows how the siding goes up the right side of the opening. The green vertical strip represents the corner molding and the blue horizontal strip represents the first full piece of siding that is above the alcove.

The next picture shows the normal way corner molding is used with the siding inside the edges of the corner.

The bottom picture is my problem: When the full piece of siding is placed on top of the corner used for the edge of the alcove, what stops the rain water from running down the siding above and right into the top of the corner molding.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Attached Thumbnails
how to side the top of an alcove ??-siding.jpg  

Last edited by papageek; 12-13-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #5

what kind of siding?,if it's vinyl you could run a j channel over the corner to cap it and recieve the lower egde of the panel going over it,or make that a thicker piece of trim instead of siding and butt the top of the corner to it
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #6

Thanks Tom,

It is Alside Vinyl siding.

Another thought I had was to cut the top of the corner and see if I can "bend back" the top to fit inside the siding above it. Since it is a 10 foot corner and I only need 6 feet, I have plenty to experiment with.

I know the siding will not stay "bent" on its own and will try to pull the top siding off when I let it go.

Question: If I carefully heat the siding with a torch, do you think I can get it to hold the new shape?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #7

yes you can give that a try,or you can bend a cap out of aluminum,but you are going to need to be pretty precise with your siding layout

Last edited by Tom Struble; 12-15-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote