Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
Maryland

Share |

How should I support this post?

I had an engineer spec a beam to carry my second floor joists. He provided the size of the beam, size of support posts and which post caps to use. He also provided details for underpinning our foundation since the house is 130 years. This is where I've run into some trouble... Here's a top-down drawing to help explain my problem.

The gray lines above are the first floor joists. The red outlines indicate the two possible locations for the new beam. The green arrows show the possible locations for the support post on one end of the beam. This post will bear upon a 7x8 sill beam which is resting on brick piers at the exterior wall. Between the piers is a brick infill, which is the what the post will be located above. This area can be easily underpinned, so there's no problem on this side of the beam.

On the other side of the beam, we have the areas indicated by the red arrows. This is where the problem exists. Between the two arrows is a brick chimney. On either side of the chimney, there's a brick pier within 8". (I've included photos below to help with visualization) Sitting on top of these piers is another 7x8 sill beam. Now ideally, I'd like to position the support post for this end of the beam over top of the 7x8 sill. The problem is that I can't underpin the piers themselves because they would collapse. And there's no brick infill in this area to underpin either. So my issue is that I'm not sure how to support the post on this end.

It's been suggested that I pour a new footing/pier close to this location to support the post. I'm a little confused about how to transfer the load from the post to the pier. I realize that I can install a post base in the pier, but this method would force me to run the post down through the floor and connect directly to the base. I would then have to cut my subfloor to fit around the post. Does this seem logical? Anyone have any other ideas? It seems like I should be able to add support somewhere in the floor framing and then just bring the post down onto the subfloor above said supported floor framing.

Left side of chimney. The sill beam is located below the OSB. You can see a piece of flex duct and some cable running through the gap between the pier and the chimney.

Right side of chimney. The pier and sill beam are visible to the right and just above the cabling.

Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

not trying to pass the buck but I would suggest consulting your engineer, after all they know the loads that must be supported from their previous calculations.

normally the column would bear upon your sill beam and your sill beam having a pier support directly under the column above the sill beam. the pier footing is sized based upon the imposed loads from the column and your soil bearing capacity.

a post base connector would be a good option to resist lateral, shear and uplift loads. It should be sized based upon these loads. again your engineer should have that information.

good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Maryland

The engineer has stated that the only requirements are a footing sized 30x30x12 installed below the frost line (and poured 2" above the bottom of the foundation wall) and a continuous load path from the beam to this footing. He stated that any pier designed to hold the post/load directly over the footing will be fine and that it's unnecessary expense to have him design such a pier. He noted that any competent contractor can pull this off?

So, I have the footing requirements from the engineer, but the original plan was to underpin brick infill sections of the foundation wall. That's what we originally thought we had around the chimney - infill, not piers. We obviously can't underpin the piers because there is nothing to support them while we dig underneath and they would simply fall into the hole.

That said, let's be clear that I'm not looking for structural calculations here. My question is more, what would you do if presented with this situation? We all agree that I need a footing and pier under the sill beam and that the supporting post will bear on this sill beam. The only option that's clear to me right now is to temporarily hold the sill beam, demo the existing pier and then pour the footing with a new pier on top. I was hoping that there was some other clever option that would allow me to maintain the existing brick piers.

Last edited by Pittsville; 08-01-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #4

got a photo or two of the area in question?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Maryland

Photos are in the original post. I can take better ones when I remove the existing subfloor. Thinking my two options are:

1) Jack the sill beam slightly and crib up to take the load off the existing brick pier. Remove the pier. Excavate and pour new footing and pier. Let sill beam down on top of new pier. Install columns and beam.

2) Excavate next to existing pier. Pour new footing and pier. (Pour pier so that it's nearly at the same elevation as sill beam.) Use Simpson post base and install column and beam. Frame floor and install subfloor around the column.

Any thoughts on these two approaches?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #6

I'd love to read your post but the GD ads are still covering the text! This new format sucks!
Davejss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss
I'd love to read your post but the GD ads are still covering the text! This new format sucks!
I agree. I only the use the app from my phone now. The ads render the website useless.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsville View Post
Thinking my two options are:

1) Jack the sill beam slightly and crib up to take the load off the existing brick pier. Remove the pier. Excavate and pour new footing and pier. Let sill beam down on top of new pier. Install columns and beam.

2) Excavate next to existing pier. Pour new footing and pier. (Pour pier so that it's nearly at the same elevation as sill beam.) Use Simpson post base and install column and beam. Frame floor and install subfloor around the column.
I'd probably go with option #1 myself, either should work however

good luck!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsville View Post
I agree. I only the use the app from my phone now. The ads render the website useless.
I myself use Firefox with ADblocker, never see ads others do .....

Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

FireFox here too, and Chrome.

I never see these ads either.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyGump; 08-02-2013 at 09:16 AM.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote