Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How should I make the floor?

The picture below is of a space between my house and my garage. As you can see the back half of the house is enclosed and part of the house. It's like a small dining room area between the garage and kitchen. My plan is to close the front half off to make a den/TV room. The issue I'm having is deciding how to do the floor. The house is on a cement slab. The best answer is probably to pour a cement slab. I don't want to do that because I would hire it done and would be a little pricey. The second option would be to put a ledger board on the left and right side screwed into the wall studs and run joists across with joist hangers. I think this would be much cheaper and well within my capabilities to do myself. The questions I have are... Is this acceptable practice for a living space? Would it be sturdy enough? They would run 10' across, would they need support in the middle? Would 2x6 be enough, or should i go 2x8? Whatever I use is going to bring my head that much closer to the 8' ceiling. I heard that treated lumber is corrosive to galvanized steel joist hanger. Is this true? Are there any special precautions for that? After I get the floor figured out, the rest is easy, the roof is already there, all i have to do is put the wall up, and finish. This post is getting lengthy, so I'll stop. thanks for reading and any advice.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You'd pour a concrete floor pinned to the rest of the house.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't think you'll be happy w/ anything but a poured floor, like Ron said. Wood may be bouncy, get wet from vapor, hard to insulate, etc. Just wait till you have the money, or, start reading about pouring concrete. You may be surprised how well you can do on a small area like that. Hiring one experienced person to help you figure out how to set it up, help pour, and maybe float it for you won't cost too much. If you are in a cool/cold place, LOTS of EPS foam underneath, too.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 546
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

You might just find that the concrete slab will be the equal to or less than the cost of the materials for a wood floor system.
'Less headache too.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will start checking around about concrete.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Well, I already had someone come over to give me an estimate. He said 4" thick, that should be plenty right. I figure that's what driveways usually are, and i don't think it will ever support as much weight as a driveway does. He also said he would tapcon angle iron on the existing walls to help support the new floor. Does this sound right? I figured the would put re-bar through instead, although i don't think it would be possible on the garage side. Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

My understanding is that rebar is usually driven into the old floor about 6", and stuck out the same into the new floor. That is what an engineer told me when I was going to add on to the foundation; slabs should be about the same, I would think. No idea if screws are normal; you may want to ask another concrete place. Don't forget to insulate underneath.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #8

That's what I was thinking, but around the perimeter there is that fragile tile block stuff that is hollow that they poured the slab inside of. On the garage side it is just the foundation that the wall is on, with no concrete on the other side (the garage floor is lower that the house floor if that makes sense). This seems like a problem. It would also be a problem with the angle iron idea I would think.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 546
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Hmm...you really need to have a detail of a thickened end slab and a real footing under the new wall side.

I think #4 re-bar 24" drilled and epoxied min. 6" into existing conc. both ways.

Anchor bolts with steel washers, etc. etc.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Is there a door in the picture above??? I don't see one. Why the need for concrete back there?
pjordan4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #11

Talking

Pjordan, I want to pour a cement slab and put a wall across the front and make it an enclosed part of my house. I will have a a doorway on the left side wall going into my existing living room. It has already been done to the back half of the house between the back wall with the big window in the picture, and the rear exterior wall of the house, as a dining room kind of area. I'm not sure if they did it when the house was buil, or at a later date. Back when the house was built on the 50's it probably would've been considered a wasted room. Nowadays its a TV room/den/man cave... whatever you want to call it.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,020

Just be sure to keep in mind the purpose of the slab, so that you don't get ahead of yourself. While a permit may or may not be required for a patio slab, it will be for a home addition, so, before saying yes to a concrete contractor, draw up what you want to do, and talk with your building department, so that the required inspections are performed, at the appropriate stages. Also, when hiring work such as that done, it is always advisable to get 3 bids.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Pjordan, I want to pour a cement slab and put a wall across the front and make it an enclosed part of my house. I will have a a doorway on the left side wall going into my existing living room. It has already been done to the back half of the house between the back wall with the big window in the picture, and the rear exterior wall of the house, as a dining room kind of area. I'm not sure if they did it when the house was buil, or at a later date. Back when the house was built on the 50's it probably would've been considered a wasted room. Nowadays its a TV room/den/man cave... whatever you want to call it.

In that case I'd dig down to dirt. Lay fabric down. create a cement block wall to join the outer walls, and fill the inside half full of gravel. Then be sure to insulate in between the floor joists. No need for a slab.

pjordan4477 is offline   Reply With Quote