Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How should I go about removing this ruined section of subflooring?

The toilet flange had been leaking for who knows how long unbeknownst to us, until we noticed our floor had begun to swell. After removing the linoleum, I let everything sit for a few days to see if it would dry up. Mold is growing underneath and on top, and it feels like the integrity of the wood is beyond compromised, so I want to get rid of it.

As you can see, the wet areas of the subfloor extend all the way to the bottom plates. As to how far under the bottom plates the moisture extends, I cannot tell. I removed the linoleum on the other side of the door frame (to the left) and the subfloor is not wet on the other side of the wall.

I'm thinking I should cut right up to the bottom plates using a reciprocating saw or hand saw (a circular saw won't be able to get quite as close), and add in new floor joists if needed for support (I imagine they will be).

I have never done anything like this before, so any input would be appreciated.

ALSO, this floor connects to the kitchen and laundry, and we are planning to put in new tile in the next couple of months. So my plan is to reinstall the toilet and leave the bathroom as just subflooring until we are ready to do the whole new floor. My question is, when that time comes, is there a way to install the flange so that it will not have to be reinstalled when tile time comes around?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
How should I go about removing this ruined section of subflooring?-img_0569.jpg  

7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #2

Try these tips on repairing subfloor under leaky toilet: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/repair-...let-83650.html

roofingquotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

I would use a multitool. Run it along the edges of drywall. Remove damaged wood. Stack some new floor joist. Inspect for other damage and replace plywood. The occilating multitool is easy to control and will get all the way to the edge.
Godspede619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #4

Cut out the while section a sawzall root zip or something that u can get right up against the drywall with. Toilet flange looks like PVC, do cut that flush to wood and lift out the whole square.
Then see what's under there and go from there. Maybe u will get lucky and joists will be dry and solid. Cut remaining toilet flange down to clean section of PVC. Replace plywood and cut hole for toilet flange. Install cement board for tile and cut hole for toilet flange. Glue in flange and screw in through cement board into plywood and tile. Extra thick wax ring to get good seal over tile and you are all set.
Olcrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8

This looks like an easy fix so, don't make it harder than it has to be. Don't look at the appearance on the subfloor. Use a screwdriver or something pointy to establish the integrity of the wood. If the screwdriver penetrates deep, then replace it. If it looks like the wood will hold a nail or screw or glue sufficiently then leave it alone and just re-tile or re-linoleum the floor. I've seen many stained subfloors that dry out just fine and are adequate for tile.

I agree the toilet flange needs replaced. You could either cut it out or use that special tool that will drill out the old flange and leave the pipe. Don't buy the wax ring from HD or Lowes.....go to a plumbing store. If you can't avoid HD/Lowes then some folks will use two wax rings but, you'll have to cut one in half and stack it on top of the one with the lip.

Last edited by Bugman1400; 08-20-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Bugman1400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

The subfloor was definitely in bad shape, WAY too soft. Being only 1/2", it needed to be replaced. I've removed it as far out as the water stain goes, and am now waiting for the joists to dry before I put the new stuff in. I just picked up a cheap reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight ($20!) and some quality blades ($15, almost as much as the saw!) and it did the job well.

I found a closet flange that has a rubber gasket (i.e. no need to glue) and a waxless ring that should be perfect for my purposes. Remember, I want the bath functional again once I put new subflooring in, BUT we are going to be installing a new floor in a couple of months. These products should allow me to install the toilet now, remove for floor installation, and reinstall without any hassle once the new floor is in.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

After a couple of days of the subfloor being removed, the joist just below the toilet drain is still damp. Should I leave it until the joist is dry, or am I OK to go ahead with the new subfloor?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #8

If it was mine I would leave it a bit longer before closing it up. Try sticking a fan on it to get some air movement. Once you close it up it will be a dark damp area and could mold over time. I would dry it out while you have it opened up

Olcrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote