DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How short can sill plate pieces be ?

9K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Willie T 
#1 · (Edited)
I have some termite damage I am doing in a house in a load bearing wall window area.
Two story townhouse, brick exterior, slab.
Diagram is below.

I......I......II..................II.....I.....I.....II
I......I......II..................II.....I.....I.....II
I......I......IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.....I.....I.....II
I......I......II. .I ..I ..I...I..II.....I.....I......II
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

S=sill, I are 2x4 studs, __ top plate.
Window in center area.

Studs and sill area above number 2 need to be replaced from termite damage.
NO sag, no jacking will be required.
My idea is to remove the window and small studs beneath.
Then install three 2x4's at location 3 to hold up header (H). Replace studs and sill in area 2. Remove temporary brace at location 3 and rebuild sill and studs in area 4.

Now for the question.
The sill will have to be replaced in two sections because of the temporary support holding the header. The first at area 2 (about two feet), and the second at are 3 (about four feet). I plan on anchoring each sill piece into the slab with expansion bolts at two points. Is it acceptable now to have the wall with the sill in four sections, even though all are anchored to the concrete ?

I thought this would be easier than building a secondary wall to hold the joists above. However the sill would only be three pieces instead of 4 then, not a big difference. Any other flaws in my thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks !

See less See more
#2 ·
This from an older code:
Sec. 1806.6. Foundation Plates or Sills. Foundation plates or sills shall be bolted to the foundation or foundation wall with not less than 1/2 inch (13 mm) nominal diameter steel bolts embedded at least 7 inches (178 mm) into the concrete or masonry and spaced not more than 6 feet (1829 mm) apart. There shall be a minimum of two bolts per piece with one bolt located within 12 inches (305 mm) of each end of each piece. A properly sized nut and washer shall be tightened on each bolt to the plate. Foundation plates and sills shall be the kind of wood specified in Section 2317.4.
Sec. 2317.4. Plates, Sills and Sleepers. All foundation plates or sills and sleepers on a concrete or masonry slab, which is in direct contact with the earth, and sills which rest on concrete or masonry foundations, shall be treated wood or Foundation redwood, all marked or branded by an approved agency.
Additional Local Requirements: Exterior wall sill plates bearing on concrete must be Foundation redwood or pressure treated lumber and must be nominal 2 inch thickness (2x material) with their width at least equal to the width of studs to be used. Steel bolts used for sill anchorage shall be at least 10 inches long.

Just so the wedge anchors are acceptable by your local Building Department. The new code requires square steel washers under each nut, which they sell next to the concrete fasteners.

Be safe, Gary

#3 · (Edited)
All I'd be concerned with is getting at least three anchors in each sill plate piece. (more, where longer sections might require it) Despite code, I have never liked only two fasteners in ANYTHING. If one fails, you are up the creek without a paddle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.