Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to: Shed foundation?

So I just moved into a house, and I want to build a shed. The DIY ones are way cheaper and I would feel too lazy spending extra money having someone else build a shed for me. We have no HOA and I want a 10' x 10' shed. What I need help with is the foundation, as the title suggests. I talked with the guy at Lowes and he gave me a pretty good idea of how to set it up. My only problem is the only place we could put it and not have it in the middle of the yard is on a fairly steep gradient. Now I need it to look nice for the wife to aprove so can I build the 10x10 foundation using PT lumber on top of crushed stone? And then do I need to fill the square in with stone or can I just leave it empty? I'm looking for pretty detailed instructions on laying down the frame (With no slang terms or abbreviations please).

From what I understand, I start at the lowest corner, dig a level line to about 3" max depth, put down a board cut to length, the start on top of that and dig into the ground at the end of the bottom board and lay stone there and just keep going till I get a 10x10 frame. Seems like a lot of work to me...

Econdron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Wood rots.

What is your location / climate?

do you want a wood, concrete, or dirt floor?

pls8xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Northern Illinois. Hot summers cold winters not an excessive amount of rain. And it's a kit that I would buy probably from Lowes for $899, comes with plywood floor I'm pretty sure.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

I thought of this idea, wondering what you guys thought of it. Put cinder blocks on the corners, and then cut plywood in the shape of the opening underneath. I know it wouldn't do anything for support, but it could be painted and would probably look just fine.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econdron View Post
I thought of this idea, wondering what you guys thought of it. Put cinder blocks on the corners, and then cut plywood in the shape of the opening underneath. I know it wouldn't do anything for support, but it could be painted and would probably look just fine.
DO what

A few rules of you want this thing to last and work out.
It needs to be a bare minumum of 8" off the grade, if not the siding will rot from splash back.
Make sure there's an over hang on the roof or add gutters, the siding will hold up longer.
For a 10 ft. span your going to need at least three supports under it to keep it from sagging.
Use Advantec 3/4" T & G subflooring not plywood, it's stronger and far more moisture resistant.
If you plan to store no more then a few hand tools and a small work bench a 10 X 10 will work fine. Any more then that it's going to be to small. Far cheaper to build it bigger then you think you need now then to have to go back and build a bigger one.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote