Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #1

Share |

How serious is this cracking in brick interior wall?

I am living in a rented apartment. Not really thinking about it, I chose to live in this apartment regardless of the extensive cracking in the brick walls (I valued cheap rent over quality, obviously). I am just curious to know what these cracks really mean. I have been having a lot of bug problems - including what seems like carpenter ants along the edges of the room.

The building is a two story, brick carriage house with concrete flooring. The floor slopes down to what seems like a drainage hole that has been covered with wood (which is definitely soft). There are a ton of hairline cracks in almost all the bricks and here are some pictures of the cracks in the mortar - some stair-stepping patterns that seem to go into a vertical crack. These are above the two windows and door on the first floor. There are also areas where the mortar seems a little degraded and some areas that look like tunnels almost.

I'm aware I'm getting the quality I'm paying for, but I'm just wondering how bad it really is.
Attached Thumbnails
How serious is this cracking in brick interior wall?-windowdoorcrack2.jpg  
Attached Images

prexxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick wall, cracked bricks, cracking