Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |

How to screed in corners - slab

I'm realizing I have more questions every time I think I'm all out.

How do I screed a small slab (1 ft by 6 ft) that is surrounded on two sides by walls? My gut tells me I have to stick a piece of 2x4 along the edge to run my screed along, remove it, and throw concrete in the hole and float it.

But is there a better way? I think it's going to be tough to make the back-and-forth motion with the screed if all I have is a 2x4 that's right next to a wall (ie I can only move an 1 1/2 inches for my back-and-forth motion)

Thanks for any ideas.

chaddihimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Agent 000

Take a 2 x 2 and tack it to the wall 2" above the grade of the finished concrete. Now, cut a 'U' shaped notch on the end of a 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 to accept the 2 x 2. The distance from the bottom edge of the 2 by 6 (or 8) to the bottom of the U notch will be 2". Yes the back and forth motion will be tricky but if you don't overfill the hole then you should be able to wiggle it down the length of the wall. It's either that of just throw in the concrete and eyeball it.

More thoughts... actually pitch this idea. If your screed is long enough then the surface of the driveway should provide enough support as you drag the screed along. What was I thinking????
Attached Images

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 08-13-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: More thoughts
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #3

It is a pain but with something that small you should be able to snap a chalk line at the level of the desired sidewalk (or snap it at the height of the top of the screed board) then free hand it. The pain really comes from not washing off the chalk line.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
General Contractor

What you are describing is not difficult, and use the chalkline as described above....use a mag float or even a block of wood to "tamp" the mud firmly, and trowel level and smooth.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #5

For a one foot by 6, just use an 18" level for a screed and freehand it.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #6

Since its so small just freehand it or use grade pins that tell you your level at every foot or so then pull em as you get level and fill the holes. What kind of screed are you using? We like apearm screeds for this. There are several ways to do this though but the right screed will be best to begin with.
Greendirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #7

Screed? Level?

What are you guys talking about? Add water, vibrate, it'll be flat enough...

j/k

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote