Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #1

Share |

How to scew into stone foundation?

How do I screw into stone foundation?
Kacavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #2

Knowing the purpose of this screwing would be helpful. As well, the type and age of the stone and mortar would help too. But - at it's face, one answer is to use lags and shields. There are direct drive screws that have a few different names. Then there are bolts. I don't know how familiar you are with fasteners nor what tools you have at your disposal but you will most certainly need a drill - and possibly an impact drill depending on what you're trying to do. The type of stone- even if you aren't sure of the exact name - a picture or description such as - greyish blue and will flake if struck for instance. That might be shale. But if its maroon and seems harder than anything you can imagine, well thats one I've run into myself and don't know the name, but I ended up buying a diamond bit after wearing out my carbides. Anyhow - please try to answer a few of these questions and we'll be glad to help you out. I've worked on alot of old homes and probably drilled into stone foundations about 20 or more times and each one poses its own special character - for lack of a better word.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

i had a similar question a while back. my foundation is also stone (round white and hard hard hard!). i was thinking.. how am i going to attach my deck to this? i asked around and all the suggestions i got were to NOT attach at all and build a floating deck. glad i did.

so my point is, maybe there is an easier way. what are you trying to do?

Knucklez
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #4

Seems the most important piece of this puzzle is still missing. What are you trying to accomplish? It is very difficult to give an answer without this info. Not to mention the other stuff that was requested.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacavich View Post
How do I screw into stone foundation?
By using a hammer drill or a core drill.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #6

MY FOUNDATION ( House built 1900) Is stone with morter. I would like to attach 2"X 4" boards to basement walls then I could hang peg board and hang stuff from the walls. The foundation rocks are grey with really old morter.
What type of screws ??? do I use?
Thank you,
Shelley

Last edited by TheEplumber; 09-23-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: email address removed
SHELLEYVOGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Haverhill Trade 1965

You should also describe the size of the rocks. you risk splitting them with expansion type anchors. how flat and uniform is the surface? Is the weight supported by a floor, footings, or by the bolts?
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #8

have you considered hanging your peg boards with lumber attached to the floor joists instead of trying to attach to the stone?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Duckweather (09-23-2013)