How To Resolve A Foundation Issue Inexpensively? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How to resolve a foundation issue inexpensively?

I recently found out that my 2-level home is built on 24 inch centers as oppose to 16 inch. As a result, I am noticing a few cracks in the wall, in addition to a slight decline of the floor in the foyer area. Also several closet doors are not closing properly and the front door (glass) tends to stick. I did call around to a couple of foundation repair companies and the estimates I was given were all over $6000. Is there any other way I can get this issue resolve cheaper.

Advertisement

wrmbmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

Sure. Use some toothpaste to hide the cracks and sell.

Advertisement

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't understand the question. Are your problems related to the 24"oc stud spacing or are they related to the foundation settling? Or, are you talking about 24"oc rebar placement in the foundation?

If doors are sticking, I'd tend to attribute that to foundation settlement issues, not stud spacing.

There's no such thing as inexpensive foundation repairs, unfortunately. Piering, tiebacks, etc....They all cost a few thousand or more.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16 inches , 24 inches