Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

Share |

How to repair panels - Enclosed Patio

I'm looking for ideas on how to repair the panels on an enclosed patio. The patio is in pretty good shape except for three panels. Note: this damage is the result of the previous owner not cleaning out the down-spouts. This caused the rain to run down the side of the patio and damaged the panels.

It looks like the panels were made and inserted in the aluminum frame then the aluminum frame is riveted together. The panel sits in an aluminum channel that keeps it in place.

My major desire is to keep the rain out. Does anyone sell sheet Vinyl? I see Vinyl sold in strips but I think I need sheet vinyl big enough to cover each opening, and then I would caulk it and use plywood to back the sheet Vinyl and support it.

I hoped that I could install inside paneling back into the groove on the inside. But I don't see how I could install the paneling back into the channel. I think I would need to attach the inside paneling with screws. This is not going to look very professional.

Anyone have and experience with this or how I might fix this.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
How to repair panels - Enclosed Patio-patioa.jpg   How to repair panels - Enclosed Patio-patiob.jpg   How to repair panels - Enclosed Patio-patioc.jpg   How to repair panels - Enclosed Patio-patiod.jpg  

jeffa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

Got a real mess there.
No way would that system ever have worked out.
Being installed right on grade it was 100% sure going to be leaking under the wall.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #3

The average rainfall for the area is 13 inches. The concrete slopes away from the patio, so the rain hasn't really flowed into the patio. The main issue now is the splash of the rain when it hits the concrete.
jeffa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #4

It's a mess nonetheless. However, it remains a possible task. The question is really "HOW?!"

IMHO, you could rig something up like the way you describe, but I would stay away from vinyl. Going with, say, a cement siding would look better than those vinyl stuff. Of course, the budget may limit on what material you could get...

Secondly, you could also frame it out with 2x's and install your sheathing and (vinyl or cement) siding to that on the outside, while insulation (R13 batt), drywall/wood paneling, trim, and paint on the inside.

my 2 cents.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
"You can do anything"-Mom

What size is that bottom track? 2" ? Maybe using some light gauge 2" hat channel to frame it and then you can finish with metal sheeting, vinyl siding, whatever.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Haverhill Trade 1965

That looks very similar to steel framing studs and track. are there drain holes in the outside? They look wide enough to accept an outside and inside layer with room for a frame between. Most of the cement fiber companies make 4' x 8' panels that might do the outside without any joints. I wonder what kept the splash water out of that track in the first place.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #7

If you google "clad styrofoam" many products will come up including aluminum clad and concrete based material cladding.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #8

Cement based siding will not work, it can not be that close to the ground and with that track it would be in constant contact from the leaks.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Are the window tracks removable? Then you can make full size panels.
If not, and if you can find track that'll fit into the frame, borrow an idea from vinyl windows that have adjustable upper track? It was a U channel that fit over the window frame but not fastened, so that it could cover larger opening.
Vinyl sheets can be found at homedepot as panelling. You may be able to use foam insulation sheets as middle filler.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Check out laminators Inc. They have an omega-ply panel that has a Poly-Olefin core that is waterproof.

Last edited by jagans; 01-08-2013 at 07:43 PM.
jagans is online now   Reply With Quote