Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #1

Share |

How to repair dry or wet rot?

We have an 80+ year old house with a sunroom where french doors open out to a deck. After a long wet winter, we finally opened the french doors to use the yard for the first time. I noticed a patch of dry/wet rot on the floor side of the frame for the french doors, about 3 inches long. I suspect that it occured there because the doors open outward rather than inward, and rain water seeps in and stands there.

I had a termite inspector look at it, and he says that it's fungus, not termites. He suggested scraping out the dry/wet rot, and then putting silicon in its place, then painting over it.

It sounds easy enough, but how difficult is it? I am a newbie. It seems pretty easy to scrape out the rot, but can I just purchase this silicon at any box store? Is it easy to pour into the wood area? How do I apply the silicon? Before I put silicon in, should I pour boric acid or anti freeze in there to make sure the fungus is killed? Any recs would be greatly appreciated.

bathroom nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #2

Here in Arizona, I cosmetically repair small dry rot areas with Durham's Rock (water) Putty which is available from ACE Hardware.

First, I clean out the "wound" and remove any and all loose wood fibers, leaving only the solid fibers. Then, I firmly press a thin layer of the rock putty into the remaining wood within the "wound" and gradually build on it. Go slow, and apply it in layers, making sure to press it in so that air is squeezed out.

This putty sets and hardens within 10 minutes and it dries fairly quickly under normal circumstances. Stop when the level of the putty slightly exceeds the profile of the woood. After a day or two, go back and sand it smooth, prime it well, and paint it.

End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Believe it or not,but I've used automotive Bondo to make similar repairs and it has stood the test of time.
A client of mine had used it on a door sill where it is constantly stepped on and the repair lasted ten years and still looked good.
It can be put on fairly thick and can be 'rasped 'just before set up to get close to the finished plane of the work surface.
Finish off with sanding and paint in the matter of an hour.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #4

Thanks! Do you put anything on it to make sure the fungus is killed before you do that?
bathroom nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
Believe it or not,but I've used automotive Bondo to make similar repairs and it has stood the test of time.
A client of mine had used it on a door sill where it is constantly stepped on and the repair lasted ten years and still looked good.
It can be put on fairly thick and can be 'rasped 'just before set up to get close to the finished plane of the work surface.
Finish off with sanding and paint in the matter of an hour.
Good point! Bondo is like the duct tape of putties.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote