How To Repair Concrete In Front Of Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150
Question

How to repair concrete in front of garage

How do I begin repairing this?

At some point there was a tree, the roots raised the concrete and cracked it. The triangle piece is now a bit wobbly as I tried to dig underneath and press down in an effort to level it. The asphalt part is also raised, that has to be leveled too.

I have never done a repair like this before.

My thoughts are to break the triangle piece into small pieces, put a form around and fill with concrete mix. Do the same for the asphalt part, except I don't know what is the fill, and top layer would be for the asphalt section.

Or, somehow align the heavy triangle as best as I can and patch the crack. But if the base is not level and some settling would crack it again.

Advertisement

picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
concrete contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Break up the triangle and remove it or, if it settles into the ground enough that you can cover it with 3-4 inches of new concrete, leave the broken up pieces in place as fill. Drill into the side of the remaining section of concrete and hammer in some rebar. Then form, mix and add some new concrete. As for the asphalt, you can get some cold patch at home improvements centers that might work.

Advertisement

johnnyconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

If you want it to look good, saw cut the entire section of concrete out from in front of the garage then do as johnnyC. says.
Clean up the site, level out the ground, create new forms. drill the existing conc. with 5/8" holes about 24" O.C. (no epoxy) pour new conc. right on the ground about 4" thick.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driveway