How To Remove Plaster Bathrom Ceiling. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to remove plaster bathrom ceiling.

Hello, old house, no ceiling fan, mildew forms on paint.

I want to remove the original plaster ceiling, install a ceiling fan, replace ceiling with i guess cement board. Then prime and paint with mildew resistant primer and paint.

As usual getting the ball rolling is the tough part.

Any tips on how to remove th plaster ceiling ?

Just hammer away ? or should i start in the middle and work my way to the sides carefully or...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks much.

Advertisement

scotty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is no magic way to do it that I have found but cold chisel a line where the ceiling meets the walls (assuming they are plaster too) first. I would take the lathe down too but if you choose not to do so, use a small framing hammer so as not to damage it. This smaller tool approach might also be better so the plaster comes down in small pieces rather than huge chunks that could damage your porcelain fixtures, shower door, tile floor? and so forth. Be careful around any existing light fixtures. Wear a mask/aspirator and protective eyewear---a hard hat is not a bad idea if you have one. If mold and mildew have been a problem, consider getting a tank sprayer and treating the exposed space before you seal it up again.

I assume the ceiling is failing or else you would not be removing it just to put in a ceiling fan?

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks to the gentleman from the great state of Illinois - I really appreciate your help...
scotty8 is offline   Reply With Quote