Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2005, 06:33 AM   #1

Share |

How to remove paint from brick

Hi All.

I am double-posting this as I'm not sure who reads the cleaning AND the Brick and Masonry forums.

I have just bought a new house off-plan, and it seems like the builders were a bit careless with the paint. They've spilt some paint onto the bricks on the driveway, and no matter what I do, I can't get rid of it. Will I have to change the bricks? Here's what I've tried so far:

- Paint remover - Just took the top off the paint. Still quite a bit in the grooves and IN the brick
- Pool Acid - Was told this would bring the paint out. Didn't really work. Still quite a bitof paint IN the brick

Any tips would be helpful. I'd like to put it on my Home-Improvement blog, along with the other tips I've found out (the hard way???).

thanks,
James
imported_beezee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #2

I have heard the city of Chicago is using baking soda blasting to clan graffiti from brick work with little damage to the brick work. I would image this would be a specialized field and would most likely have to be hired out but better then having to change the bricks.:confused:

Myself I have made brickwork look much better by using various color stains matching the brick and touching up the obvious paint drips with paints that blend in well with the brick. It can almost go undetected if done well.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:27 AM   #3

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I think I might try that, if no other tips come out. It sounds like a decent suggestion, considering it's done by a city.

thanks again,
James
imported_beezee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #4

BZ3, try a wire brush. I'm currently working on a 50' brick landscape wall and find the wire brush works great at removing mortar that has hardened on the brick. The wire brush seems not to hurt the brick but removes excess laying on it.
The texture of your brick will determine how successful this is however. Less texture means more success for your efforts.
Please let us know if this works for you.
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote