Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

how to remove musty odor, waterproofing a cement block

i have musty odor in my basement. Anyone has any idea which product is best to remove that odor?
Also i would like to waterproof the cement block wall in this basement which is good, drylock, radeonseal,or sanitred/
i'll appreciate all reply.

handydady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by handydady View Post
i have musty odor in my basement. Anyone has any idea which product is best to remove that odor?
Also i would like to waterproof the cement block wall in this basement which is good, drylock, radeonseal,or sanitred/
i'll appreciate all reply.
Best way is to kill the mold with bleach/water combo, and then keep the humidity at 45% or lower. Also, circulate fresh air as much as possible.

Drylock is the big name in sealing cinderblock.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Moth balls or crystals
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

handydady -

How many years was the basement musty and have moisture? - If a few years, it may be coming from the floors, and ceiling also by now. In any event, circulation, plus fresh air is required. Other things just substitute different smell for a while. - It is not a quick fix.

handy man -

Drylock is not that great on cinder block (if you can even find them in NY, NJ, PA and OH). It is better on concrete block, but nothing beats getting rid of the moisture from the ouside and the floor and under the floor.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
handydady -

How many years was the basement musty and have moisture? - If a few years, it may be coming from the floors, and ceiling also by now. In any event, circulation, plus fresh air is required. Other things just substitute different smell for a while. - It is not a quick fix.

handy man -

Drylock is not that great on cinder block (if you can even find them in NY, NJ, PA and OH). It is better on concrete block, but nothing beats getting rid of the moisture from the ouside and the floor and under the floor.
Hmm, didn't know there was a difference between cinder block and concrete block.

I bought a can of drylock for a hairline crack on my poured concrete foundation. Is drylock not good for this application?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Drylok is not intended for cracks. It is a surface coating, like paint.

Cinder block were made years ago using waste cinders from industrial operations burning coal. Because they were made from waste materials, they had varible properties, most of which were not good. They were used very well for some specific application. the block were cheap and readily available years ago in eastern industrial areas.

Concrete block are made from either normal (heavy) aggregate, lightweight aggregate or a blend of the two. Lightweight block cost more and insulate better. Both are made according to ASTM C90 standards.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Drylok is not intended for cracks. It is a surface coating, like paint.

Cinder block were made years ago using waste cinders from industrial operations burning coal. Because they were made from waste materials, they had varible properties, most of which were not good. They were used very well for some specific application. the block were cheap and readily available years ago in eastern industrial areas.

Concrete block are made from either normal (heavy) aggregate, lightweight aggregate or a blend of the two. Lightweight block cost more and insulate better. Both are made according to ASTM C90 standards.

Dick
Drylock's ad, whether anyone believes or not, says that it penetrates into the crack.

BTW, what is usually done, if anything when there are hair line cracks in the slab?