DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to raise a seven foot ceiling to the standard eight foot ceiling

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  1910NE 
#1 ·
I bought a home six months ago and I would like to increase the ceiling height. What are some solutions for raising my ceiling height?

#3 ·
If you are talking about raising the entire second floor structure- joists and all, it can be done by a professional but may cost more than it's worth over just living with 7 foot ceilings. If it's just a matter of dropped ceilings that can be raised up closer that the joists, that may be DIYable.

People drop ceilings for different reasons. Energy savings is one of them. Another is that they want the look of a flat ceiling where there may just be heating ducts that can be accommodated by soffits instead.

#6 ·
what is the age of the house? if its a couple hundred years old (many from that era have low ceilings) you might have some great rafters just waiting to be exposed. is there a place where you can get a look at what is hidden behind the ceiling?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.