Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #1

Share |

How to raise a garage floor to match house floor

I have a 12' wall that I want to "bump out" to make a pantry style closet about 16" deep. The other side of the wall is the attached garage. I need to know what to do to raise the garage floor to match the house floor. I'm thinking of using a floor leveler mix to make sure the floor is level first. Then onto green treated lumber? to make floor joists. I would need a maximum strength design, just incase someday that closet becomes part of the room. Also how to properly measure to allow for sub floor, underlayment and whatever else I have to consider. I need step by step! /Jeannie

jlgenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #2

leveler is a good idea. follow the manufacturer's specs to get good adhesion. if that is not a moisture barrier, then i would paint it (if it takes paint) w/ a latex moisture barrier paint,(like drylok) then slap on the treated wood. as for the "strength" part... if you are taking out studs, which it sounds like you are, then you have taken away the load carrying capacity of that wall. no studs means you need a header to carry the load that the wall used to (which may not be much, or may be quite a bit). you'll have to see an engineer on that, have him/her look at the house, determine the load on the wall, then design the header. warning; the header may have to be huge (16-18" high), and/or it may need a post under it. warning 2: it may well need extra support under the ends and post, which is probably something UNDER what the wall sits on (not a good scenario, since the house is built. had this all been planned in originally, then concrete footers would likely have been poured under the ends/posts). again, an engineer can tell you if you need "footers" or not; depends on the load on the wall. this is not necessarily something to just go do. all that said, if this is a second story over a basement, then the header may be more easily supported. good luck, and see an engineer.

Last edited by jklingel; 09-05-2010 at 12:48 AM.
jklingel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgenz View Post
I have a 12' wall that I want to "bump out" to make a pantry style closet about 16" deep. The other side of the wall is the attached garage. I need to know what to do to raise the garage floor to match the house floor. I'm thinking of using a floor leveler mix to make sure the floor is level first. Then onto green treated lumber? to make floor joists. I would need a maximum strength design, just incase someday that closet becomes part of the room. Also how to properly measure to allow for sub floor, underlayment and whatever else I have to consider. I need step by step! /Jeannie
Get Under the Home and Use Bottle Jack to prop it up .... cheers
AaronSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgenz View Post
Are you wanting to remove the 12 foot wall or just put a door or doors into the wall and build a wall in the garage so you will have a 16 inch deep closet? Is that wall a load bearing wall? How far down is your garage floor from your main home floor?

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

I see no need for the floor leveler, put down a plastic vapor barrier and frame a floor with PT 2x lumber. Shim up if slightly out of level. For a 16" bump, you need not attach to the concrete, let it float.

If the wall you are cutting into is load bearing, you will need a header.

You will have to maintain the fire code rating of the garage to living area - this usually means 5/8" dry wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-05-2010)