DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

how to purt a shed roof on a deck

10K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  gbeach 
#1 ·
first time on this site. Need to put a roof over the deck i built. I want to build a shed roof, and I want to attach it to the existing roof the full length of the deck. I can't go any higher than the back of the the fireplace. I just am not sure where to start. Do I start with the posts and build the outside walls that the rafters will rest on. I cannot upload the picture, it is to big. i will have to email it.

#8 ·
well, I am going to have to tie into existing roof to left and right of chimney, but can't go farther back then chimney or it will hold water.
going to do a shed roof off of it. have 116" as my starting height off the roof and a 10' span. my pitch is going to be about a 2.5/12. that is the best I can do. I am in the south so I don't have to worry about snow.

#9 ·
well, I am going to have to tie into existing roof to left and right of chimney, but can't go farther back then chimney or it will hold water.
going to do a shed roof off of it. have 116" as my starting height off the roof and a 10' span. my pitch is going to be about a 2.5/12. that is the best I can do. I am in the south so I don't have to worry about snow.
Why will it hold water if you go past the chimney? Going past the chimney won't cause a problem and hold water because you build a cricket behind the chimney to shed the water. As long as the top of the left side of the shed roof doesn't stick higher than the hip on the existing house going past the chimney isn't a problem.

#11 ·
Basically, you will duplicate the existing deck. The rafters on each side of the chimney will be doubled to support the rafters in the chimney area.
I would guess that 2X6 rafters would be acceptable in your area. 2X8's may be required.
I just completed a job similar to this, however the roof structure on mine meant that I had to mount a ledger board that was lagged to the wall rim plates.
Do you plan to cut the house rafter tails off and run from the top of the house wall or do you want to go as high as the hip roof will allow?
In this case, you may have to place a knee wall in the attic to support the rafter load.
You're lucky that snow load isn't a problem for you!

#12 ·
well, i am only going up as high as i can which is only about 20" up the roof, so I am already going to be real close to being on my interior wall.
wish I could do a ledger, but not high enough. yes, i couldn't do it if we had snow. my brotherinlaw is checking if i am okay with 2x6s. thinking about putting steps right in the middle of the deck. same width as middle opening, 5 ft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.