Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #1

Share |

How to place a floor drain in new concrete pour?

I'm converting a portion of my crawlspace to a utility room. I want to install a floor drain for HVAC and WH.

How do I position the floor drain for the concrete slab pour? Does it have to be perfectly placed including height and secured with rebar driven into the ground or something like that? And then capped somehow so concrete doesn't get into the pipe?

walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkman View Post
I'm converting a portion of my crawlspace to a utility room. I want to install a floor drain for HVAC and WH.

How do I position the floor drain for the concrete slab pour? Does it have to be perfectly placed including height and secured with rebar driven into the ground or something like that? And then capped somehow so concrete doesn't get into the pipe?
Pretty much.................. "Yes".... although threaded couplings give you some play.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
General Contractor

1/4 inch per foot of slop minimum. If the room is say, 6 feet square, 3 feet would be the center, and 3/4 of an inch would be the slope. The drain/trap fixture would be pinned underside with rebar to hold it at height, and covered with ductape, making sure it covers the top only. If you do this yourself, mix the concrete at a stiff slump, and then you can use a 2-1/2 foot long piece of 2x4 to screed it out with.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

When we install floor drains and floor sinks, we spend the extra few bucks to get the height adapter kits. Then we can set the height to exactly where we want it to be. You can jury rig it, but it goes so much quicker with a kit.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote