Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

How much weight can garage ceiling studs hold?

I want to put a pull up bar in my garage. But looking at the ceiling studs, I'm not sure how much weight they can hold. Its not one piece of wood that goes all the way across. Its 2 pieces that look stapled together or something. Here are some pictures. Can this garage ceiling hold enough weight for me to install a pull up bar and safely do pull ups from it?

The second picture shows a zoom in view of the 2 pieces of wood stapled or something.
Attached Thumbnails
How much weight can garage ceiling studs hold?-img_6860.jpg   How much weight can garage ceiling studs hold?-img_6862.jpg  
limitdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

There are no studs in a ceiling. They are called joists.

The big question is, how much do you weigh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
There are no studs in a ceiling. They are called joists.

The big question is, how much do you weigh.
Thanks. Sorry about the vocabulary. I am not too familiar with this type of stuff. I wish I would have taken shop class in high school. Better yet, I wish there were classes like shop for adults at community colleges. I weigh about 160. Is that normal to use 2 separate pieces of wood and joining them together with that little metal plate with staples?

Last edited by limitdiy; 07-23-2013 at 02:51 PM.
limitdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #4

I'd take a 2x4 and lag bolt it perpendicular (crossways) it to 3 or 4 of your trusses. That way your weight is spread across a couple of them. Closer to the wall the better.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Those look to be pretty minimal trusses. Your best bet is to install the bar close to the wall. The further towards the center of the trusses, the more bending moment you put on the truss, and the more likely it is to collapse. But only your truss manufacturer can tell for sure what kind of load they are rated for. Just as an aside, most truss manufacturers are going to tell you that their trusses are not rated for pullup bars, so you are kind of on your own. As I said, if you want to do it, install the bar close to the wall.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Do an off the wall bar. Problem with engineered trusses, unless you know what te "Dead Weight" limit is, you could easily pull the plates away, if you do quick reps.

What is the span and height of the trusses from peak to bottom chord piece?

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote