Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

How much top soil to fill in this hole

I have a round hole that is 8 feet in diameter and about a foot to foot and a half deep. I don't even know how they sell top soil, but I was wondering how much would be needed to fill in th is size hole.

Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Agent 000

Rewards Points: 250

You'll need about 2 1/2 to 3 yards depending on how close the depth is to 1.5'

3.1416 x 16 (pi r squared) = 50 sq ft surface area
50 x 1.5 deep = 75 cu ft.

75 / 27 (cu ft in a yard) = 2.7yards

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 07-26-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: bad math
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #3

good old pi r squared. I hated math but it looks like someone was paying attention. You can buy top soil by the bag (expensive) or you can go to a nursery or mulching place and they sell it by the yard (need a truck). Most places have a backhoe so no need to shovel it into the truck. When you get home the shovel and wheelbarrow will be needed .
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
good old pi r squared. I hated math but it looks like someone was paying attention. You can buy top soil by the bag (expensive) or you can go to a nursery or mulching place and they sell it by the yard (need a truck). Most places have a backhoe so no need to shovel it into the truck. When you get home the shovel and wheelbarrow will be needed .
I was told a yard weighs a little over a ton. I have a truck but it can't handle that payload. That would be a lot of bags of top soil.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Agent 000

Malcolm, I was thinking... instead of paying a premium for topsoil why don't you get some regular fill dirt to fill in most of the hole, then cover with about 4" of topsoil. Having premium grade dirt buried down that low doesn't really accomplish a whole lot unless you have some very unique needs.

Unless you live in the sticks the mulch/dirt outfit should be able to deliver it right to you... and if you're lucky, back right up to the hole and dump it in.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

Your topsoil will compact down severely with time and moisture. The yard you buy will end being less than a yard in a month or so.

Use common fill and cover with the good stuff.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Malcolm, I was thinking... instead of paying a premium for topsoil why don't you get some regular fill dirt to fill in most of the hole, then cover with about 4" of topsoil. Having premium grade dirt buried down that low doesn't really accomplish a whole lot unless you have some very unique needs.

Unless you live in the sticks the mulch/dirt outfit should be able to deliver it right to you... and if you're lucky, back right up to the hole and dump it in.
Ok I do live in the sticks I have to go 90 miles to get top soil. I am not sure what it weighs I put 2 yards in my 3/4 ton truck. It does not like it but it is a truck and 90 miles is a long way to go. It is a good point though that you do not need to fill the entire hole with top soil.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 526

You can get a lot more than 1 yard for a ton. I just got river rock dumped (10 ton).

Every company that I talked to said that 100 sq ft. is approx. 1 ton of rock. So I would figure that 10 sq. yds. would be closer to a ton. Unless it is really packed.
cibula11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
Agent 000

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
Ok I do live in the sticks I have to go 90 miles to get top soil. I am not sure what it weighs I put 2 yards in my 3/4 ton truck. It does not like it but it is a truck and 90 miles is a long way to go. It is a good point though that you do not need to fill the entire hole with top soil.
I've gone to the Hertz construction rental before and used one of those Bri-Mar dump trailers to haul some wash stone... they can handle several tons. You just gotta be careful not to exceed your hitch rating.