Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How much more expensive is to build home from brick/steel/concrete instead of wood?

Let's say, average 2000 sqft home. All the walls will be brick, the floors are steel and conrete, the only wood to be used is going to be the roof. What will the approximate price difference be in %?

Thanks

Nuieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

How much more expensive is to build home from brick/steel/concrete instead of wood?

If that was in any way practical, wouldn't they be doing it already? Double to triple, at least.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
If that was in any way practical, wouldn't they be doing it already? Double to triple, at least.
Oh...
Nuieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I doubt double or triple. My house is ICF to the roof, so the only wood I have is my floors, interior wall partitions, and roof trusses. I could have opted for metal interior walls instead of wood, but I prefer the convenience of wood. I could have also installed a concrete or steel floor system, but it was unnecessary for me. I am about $10K over what a stick frame house would have cost by going with ICF, and the steel floor systems would have probably added another $10K. That's at actual competitive pricing, not after a builder's markup.

Brian
bjherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #5

At LEAST double. ICF is not masonry.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #6

OK, I have a little time, so let's look at the breakdown. We will ignore the (not trivial) increased costs of the foundation and the increased costs of the plumbing, HVAC, and electrical installation, and concentrate on just the makeup of the wall itself.

A standard stickbuilt exterior wall would consist of sheetrock, 2x6 studs, sheathing, water barrier, and siding. A masonry veneered wall would be sheetrock, 2x4 studs, sheathing, water barrier, air space and veneer. There are several ways to do a masonry structural wall:

Solid masonry, which would consist of 3 to 4 wythes of brick.
Structural CMU (6 or 8 inch) with a brick veneer (CMU, water barrier, air space, veneer).
Single wythe CMU, either 6, 8, or 12 inches in width.

For all of the masonry walls, you must either live with the natural masonry texture or also add the sheetrock or plaster interior finish and/or exterior finish.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

ICF (insulating concrete form) construction ($12sf) will add 3-5% to the build cost. A brick veneer about $16sf versus a what $3sf for vinyl siding.
bkvanbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Skip the brick and stucco over ICF and you'll probably come out around the same, or close enough.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #9

synthetic stucco, such as Total Wall or Dryvit, is fantastic over ICFs.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 572

If you do a Google search on "concrete homes", you will find an extreme amount of information. Getting a good price will, to some extent, depend on finding a builder and designer in your area with expereience in concrete and steel homes. Its very coomon in commercial/industrial construction, but less so in residential ( at least not in my area, but in many parts of the world where they don't have the forests we do, I do believe concrete and steel homes are much more common).
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #11

Insulating Concrete Form Association (ICFA) has a directory of ICF contractors. If you are lucky, you live in MN and ICF Construction can build your home.