Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

How much joist can I cut to clear roof pitch

Currently have 2x6 ceiling joists and i would like to make some of the space above my garage more usable. Plan to put in 2x12's but will certainly have to cut the ends to fit under the roof. I understand this is standard practice when building, but where can i find a resource to know how much is ok to cut.

Roof is very steep pitch (approx 45+ deg).

At outside edge of wallplate, there is 6 inches of clearance, the 2x12 cut at 45 deg angle, leaves the length of the cut about 6 inches also (meaning that the angle cut only lasts for 6 inches of the 2x12's length, then it is back to the full 2x12 dimension).

Is that ok? Is there a resource for this, I've searched but cant find anything except "its ok" why is it "ok"

thanks! (and this is pre-planning stage, I will get an architect prior to any moving forward)

jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

How much joist can I cut to clear roof pitch

What is the span? Are you leaving the old 2x6's in place? What are the live and dead loads you plan to have on the second floor?

These are the questions you should have answers to before determining what size joists to be used, you may be able to use 8's or 10's instead of 12's.

Just some thoughts

hd82 is offline   Reply With Quote