Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #1

Share |

How much gravel do I need to backfill the void behind my retaining wall?

Here's the scenario:

My backyard is mostly a hill that slopes down from my driveway. I want it to be level, so I'm planning to build a retaining wall at the bottom of the slope, and then backfill the void with gravel.

My question is: how much gravel will I need for backfill, and approximately how much would that cost to have delivered?

The back edge of the wall will be 50 feet long, and about 4 feet high. One side wall will be about 30 feet long, and the other will be 20 feet long, both with a 4-foot height at the base of the hill. The side wall height will be level, but the hill already takes up a lot of that void, so the hill slopes up fairly evenly from 4 feet to 0 feet.

Thanks!

JeevesTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Too Old

I would say around 25 cubic yards but then you never mentioned what slope you have 2:1 maybe? This is one you will need to get bids on unless you have a dump truck.
Why just gravel?
Why not do a french drain with soil backfill? You will have to compact between loads but I would think gravel is going to more.

Last edited by havalife; 07-30-2011 at 05:31 PM.
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #3

i would call your local supply yard and ask them
fulton 22175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

Thanks, I think I have a source for free gravel, so I'm trying to figure out if I need one trip with a dump truck or five.

If I have to buy the fill, it will probably be dirt with a french drain.

I have contacted a local nursery, and am waiting to hear back on a quote. Just trying to have some context for that quote so I can be sure I'm asking for the right amount of fill.

Thanks!
JeevesTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
Too Old

OK I did not know you had Free gravel Good luck

Tags
backfill, gravel, retaining wall