Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 506

How much cheaper are right angles?

I mentioned in another thread that instead of rebuilding our house, we're planning to demo and build new.

What I'm wondering is what the difference in building cost is between 2 plans we're considering... I know specifics are beyond the scope here, but my question is if the victorian style's geometry is going to mean that the framing cost is higher by an order of thousands, tens of thousands or over a hundred thousand?

First choice
http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=31835
Second choice
http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=31774

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,016

I cannot speak on $$$ because I'm not in your area.

However typically the more jogs you have in a home the more it costs to build. When adding in angled walls they typically cost more than straight walls. Typically takes more time in making cuts and construction, and more material waste. Why do you think so many people have a rectangular colonial? it's typically cheaper to build than a Queen Anne style home.

Best way to find out if get estimates to build your homes from local builders.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,294

The real question you have to ask? What do you really want? Are you going to wish that 5 years from now you had put in the angles?

Case in point....I could have saved a few thousand $$ if I had just gone with a typical 2-story addition...so, instead of the cantilever over the ground floor, it was just a continous wall up....yep...would have been easier and cheaper.....and I have no doubt that before it was even done, we would have been regreting it.....and to go back and change it would be almost impossible.

So....do it right (the way you want) the first time, or regret it for the rest of the time your in the house?

Do the work yourself and your labor is free....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (09-11-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
I ask the impossible!

See... if I do the work myself, I have to add in the price of a divorce attorney and child support payments, so it's not really free labor. That and it would be that much longer before time and money would be available for workin on the '55 Mercury's (because if I was doing it myself, I'd have to pay rather than take out a construction loan) I'm content with a more limitted scope.

I'd be content with option 2 which is generally made from right angles, but option 1 has much more curb appeal IMO... Which could make it look much more valuable than the surrounding houses, which would be a little harsh on the appraised value, but it's not out of line for the area - just my block of my street in particular. (For now at least, lots of houses being demo'd and built new)

I had one of these builders give me a ballpark for building a house of similar size and squareness at $200k, which would be lessenned by my just wanting basic trim and doing demo, electrical, plumbing, kitchen and probably by using my own concrete guy for the foundation and driveway. If his cost after these reductions for the irregular shaped victorian style house was over $250k it'd be a no-go.

Something like adding $20-40k (10-20%) of incremental cost would probably work ok... $100k (50%)of incremental cost, probably not. (also considering the cost of of the irregular shaped basement/foundation)
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I have been looking at construction techniques and found advanced framing can save some money.

The thing about it is you have to find a builder that is familiar with this sort of framing. For someone learning the techniques the time spent learning will be a cost.

You might be able to save some costs in other areas to afford the angles if you want them. Personally I would prefer a simpler design with higher quality. For example, well sealed and insulated, along with right sized hvac equipment, is something that will pay back over years in less expensive power bills and comfort.

What dawg said is important. If you plan to be there for any significant amount of time it is probably better to figure out what you really want.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

Keep in mind that the Victorian with angled bays also has more separate window units ($s) to make it a real Victorian. The appearance is very different architecturally and the "bayed" Victorians make a real statement.

We have a neighborhood of 1900 era homes that have been restored to original. The ones with the angles are a drastic comparison with the ones without the angles that just look like old farmhouses with Victorian paint schemes. The boxy ones look fine if there is not a true traditional Victorian near-by if architecture is a guide, although not all homes in that era were really fitted the same details that are commonly associated with Victorian homes.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 09-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

with the victorian the hard part is finding a builder that can finish it to your satisfaction
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,030

Plan 1 is going to cost way way more than plan 2. show them to a local builder and ask if he can give you a rough idea. Like a percent or ballpark of $w-$z
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hate to be blunt but I have had clients with marriages at the breaking point renovating antique homes. Renovating an antique home together is an experience beyond your marriage vows. You also have kids involved in this?

Imagine me, or my sub contractors every damned day, just around? Because you contracted us to get it all done. Your DIY projects are scattered all over and few finished. She is on you and you may not be getting any?

And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the World.

Then He made the Earth round...and laughed....and laughed...and laughed...

Saving and renovating an antique home comes with great rewards but not without incredible moments of crying and screaming spells. From my experience part of all. I can usually back people off watching This Old House or Villa Home Again and instead of worrying about cute diag framing? Why don't we just step outside and learn to respect the bones of what we have?

People wanting diag wall updates in nice Victorian structure scare me. Respect the bones of your place.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
I ask the impossible!

I think you're misunderstanding somewhat... The plan either as it was (rebuild) or as it is (build new) involved renting another house to live in during the construction. The plan now is absolutely the building of a new house. The old house had no foundation, aside from the 10x10 room we're keeping which is slab on grade.

As far as children, they're a 6 year old boy and 5 year old girl.

The bones of what I have... They need to be put out of their misery.

I did want to just throw this link out there since I found it intersting reading about how to frame an octagonal turret roof:
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...rret-roof.aspx