Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #1

Share |

How much bracing for deck posts?

Hi folks,

Just wondering how to determine adequate bracing for a deck. In particular, I'm wondering if I should add bracing to the posts furthest to the right in this photo? (Please excuse the mess and dingy exposure)

I ask because I plan to finish the area under that section with a small kitchenette and wrap those posts with a 1' square box and finish with stone veneer. The bracing would just kind of interfere with that a bit. Function and safety trump cosmetics, but if it's superfluous, then there's no sense in doing it. The bracing that is there now has made a night and day difference in the rigidity of the frame. And I will be adding a brace to the posts the furthest on the left. You just can only fit so many 6x6's in the trunk of an accord.

FWIW, I will be getting a framing inspection here in about a week, and they will of course have the last word.

Thanks for any feedback.

Bob

jcims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #2

yes, I would add bracing onto the right hand posts.
also, looks like you should add some bracing in a direction 90 deg to the long side as well.
the inspector may not like tthe fact that the beams are bolted to the posts without any notches (that I can see).

www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/publications/decks/details.pdf

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

You may run into a fair amount of fire suppression requirements with a kitchen unit of any kind under even part of a deck.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #4

Your cantilever seems a tad long, the posts to 6x6, the beams on top of posts, as per 2006 Deck Code: http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #5

Hi folks!

Thanks for the replies.

I almost mentioned the beam attachment because it is not obvious in the photo. Posts are notched and beams are bolted through with hot dipped carriage bolts.

Good eye on the cantilever, it's right at local code max of 20% of joist length. Joists are 2x10x20' 12" oc. Did submit plans to county engineer prior to build and got sign off. (No notch attachment is actually ok around here, but too scary for my taste)

Hadn't considered fire suppression requirements (shocker I'm sure), would that be only if there is a cooking surface?

Also interested in bracing perpendicularly to current bracing. Is that to reduce stresses on ledger?

Always good to get this kind of input, thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #6

Are the stairs designed to bear on one cantilevered joist at the top? Could always post there, if spongy.

Install some diagonal 1x2 to the joist bottoms from the ledger out. Opposite angles, or use all LUS hangers.

May have a safety glazing problem as it appears the stairs start by the house... http://www.deckmagazine.com/article/54.html
At least newer windows, easy re-glaze.

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #7

Dang Gary, good eyes again! I didn't see either of the stair issues (sponginess near edge or glazing). Currently using LUS hangers at ledger for all joists, but may also do the diagonal pieces as you suggest to keep everything as solid as possible. Just zig-zag them across the joists at 45 degrees? Should i fasten to the bottom edge or inside across the facing surfaces?

Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #8

Bottom edge. One galvanized nail per joist, start at house. Just one at each end of deck angle toward or away from- no biggie, just so they are opposite direction < > or > < !! Not- < < or > > . Now I'm dizzy....

Be safe, Gary